Camera Blurred

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bkford, Aug 10, 2015.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I have loved my iPhone 6 camera. Today, all of a sudden, I can't get a clear vivid focus. I cleaned the lens, restarted, tried everything I can think of...it is not just the inherent app, though, as my Camera+ is doing the same thing (that's why I figured it was the lens). What in the world could be the problem? (Yes, I tried tapping on the screen in the area where I want a clear focus, still extremely blurred).

2. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

If it helps any with troubleshooting, it seems clear if I'm very close but as I come out a bit, the blurriness is terrible.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Have you tried doing a hard reset? You can do that by holding the home and power buttons down simultaneously for 10-15 seconds until the apple logo appears, then let the phone reboot and see what happens. That seems to cure a lot of ills.

4. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I will try that. That process does not delete all my "settings," right?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like a hardware problem with the camera/image stabilization. Can you hear a vibrating sound when you hold the rear camera close to your ear? Do a restore to factory settings. If it's still blurry, make an appointment at the Genius Bar. Apple will replace the phone for free. If you don't live near an Apple Store, they will ship you a replacement.
    No, a hard reset is similar to a reboot. You won't lose any settings or data.

I don't think it will fix this problem. You're going to need to restore if it doesn't. First, to rule out restoring solving the problem. Second, because you need to remove your data prior to returning it to Apple anyway. Make sure you back up in iTunes or iCloud first. You can apply your backup to the replacment phone.

6. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Sorry I'm a little confused. The hard reset did not fix it. I do not hear a sound when I hold the rear camera close to my ear. When you say to reset to factory settings, does that erase all my data? I haven't used iTunes for backup/restore for a few years now. When I get a new phone and sign in with my Apple ID, everything is there (because I back up to iCloud, right?). Even my photos taken recently would be in Photo Stream on the iPad, right? So, I should try restoring to factory settings, then try the camera, and if it is working, then just pretend I have a new phone, and set it up with my Apple ID. Does that make sense?

7. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Still hoping I don't have to do a factory reset (and hoping that if I do, everything will still be there from iCloud). But here's some new information to add to the mix: the rear camera focus IS working.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yes. But if you back up to iCloud, you won't lose anything important. When you set up your replacement phone, all your stuff will be there.

9. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

If possible, back up to a computer with iTunes and select everything to be saved. And select encrypt backup and you'll have a password for the backup. Don't forget it. That saves passwords and stuff too. Then do a total reset of your phone and set it up as new. You'll see as you go along. Before restoring from the backup, try the camera then. If it's still blurry, you have a hardware problem and Apple will replace. Good luck!

10. primsa

primsa Member
    Bronze

My girl friend had the same problem after dropping her phone. I fixed it by dropping it again from about 6" above a table. It's been working good since then.

11. Heather

Heather New Member

I had a similar situation with my 6 Plus. I took it to apple. They actually replaced the camera in my phone. They said they were aware of failing hardware with some cameras.