Camera connection kit

Discussion in 'iPad Cases and Accessories' started by HUNTER1, Sep 8, 2010.

1. HUNTER1

HUNTER1 Member
    Bronze

When I import photo and video from a camera using a connection kit, It won't transfer a video file, the empty video file says JPG and MPG &THM. What are those? Thanks

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

THM files are photo thumbnails.

3. HUNTER1

HUNTER1 Member
    Bronze

Why are the video taken from a regular camera (not iPhone) not transferring to my iPad? Is there any settings on the camera I should adjust before taking the video? Thanks
    iPhone photo and video transfer just fine.

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Depends on what format they have been recorded in?

5. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

^^^^ Yeah - you may want to try converting them to .mov or .mp4 so that the kit recognizes them as video.

6. HUNTER1

HUNTER1 Member
    Bronze

I'll try that thanks

7. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

Hi. I want to get the camera connection adapter for my iPad, but I've heard that the latest software update caused major problems with them. Anyone able to comment one way or the other?

8. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

After the latest update, the iPad won't have enough USB power to be able to get pictures from a camera that is attached. But you can still plug in an SD card or an iPhone and transfer pictures that way. I'm sure this will be fixed in the next update.

9. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Does anyone have first hand experience of this situation, or just read about it?

10. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I know it still works with my iPhone and with an SD card. My camera isn't USB.

11. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I will find out in a week (on my Christmas List), but I would rather use the SD card option than the USB anyway. Seems much easier to me.

12. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Can anyone inform how exactly the camera kit works, especially in regards to uploading RAW pictures files. Does the camera kit downscale the pictures to jpeg? And if it does not down scale, am I able to dump a disk onto the iPad (for temporary storage) then transfer the pictures later onto an iMac for editing?

13. lionqueen

lionqueen Member
    Bronze

* would like to know this as well

14. lionqueen

lionqueen Member
    Bronze

Did you even read the question?

15. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

The Apple reviews for the connection kit are helpful. Some read:

"Things that I found out that you can plug in to the USB connection are USB headphones and USB headsets, USB keyboards and probably more things. If you buy the package, it comes with two different products, one for a USB connection, and another for an SD card. Also, you can plug any iPhone to the USB port and get your photos off of the iPhone so you can view them on your iPad! This is a very nice product and nothing I would change. If you email the photos with the Mail app on the iPad, they are in 2048x1536 resolution rather than the iPhone's 800x600 emailed resolution. One last thing, once you connect to your Mac, iPhoto brings in full resolution images with EXIF information intact. Great job Apple! The iPad now has a USB port!"

"Create a folder on the USB thumb drive called DCIM, and anything you place there will be available in the Photos application - just like for a digital camera."

There were generally a lot of complaints having to do with getting rid of some mentioned in the first review after 4.2. Does anyone know if it's back in 4.3?

16. Silent Assassin

Gold

It doesn't play well with RAW files.. it compresses them to lower res files...

DP Review did an expansive review on the iPad and it's practical use for Professional Photographers.. and they said while it's a great tool for your portfolio, it's still not the 'workhorse' many professionals need for processing and post production...

Read the review here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Appleipad2/

I hope this helps...

17. Silent Assassin

Gold

And conversely, if you want to hook up a thumb drive, or portable hard drive, create a folder named 'DCIM' somewhere on that drive, and any photos within that folder are viewable on the iPad... so it's essentially the USB Port that many ppl were craving for, though with workarounds..

18. BillyJack

BillyJack New Member

Thanks for the link. That pretty much answers my questions. I was afraid that it compressed the files. Oh well, no big deal.

I'm already getting an iPad 2 and I was thinking maybe I could use it to temporally store RAW pictures when I'm on a shoot. It would be easier to lug around then our 17" MacBook pro. We will just get a few more CF Cards.

Thanks for the replies.

19. Silent Assassin

Gold

I may have given you some bad information.. further reading of the article says that the iPad can in fact 'STORE' RAW images..

My apologies..

20. lionqueen

lionqueen Member
    Bronze

So it can store raw files, just not display them? Thats cool- I mean obvs it'd be better if we could display them, but even just being able to store them is really helpful if you're out taking pics and only have a couple sd cards and they get full. Think I'm going to picknup the camera adapter this weekend. My DSLR has been languishing on the shelf the last few months, maybe this will get me back into pic-taking mode.