Camera not working when called from other apps

My iPhone 6+ has a recurring problem that may be iOS 8 rather than hardware, I'm not sure.

If I pull up the camera in another app like Messages it works fine to take a picture, but after the first time it doesn't work any more until I force close the app and restart it. I first noticed this repeatedly in Messages and now I also see the same behavior in other apps including RunKeeper, which allows you to tap a camera icon to take a photo. It works for one photo, but the second time it changes to the Camera app screen but the display is black, and buttons don't work except the cancel button:

IMG_1074.PNG

Anyone else experiencing this behavior? As a check I'm going to remove my JB and test again.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Hmmm. So it's not the JB specifically but perhaps an app or maybe even the TLC Memory issue on my 6+.
The TLC issue on the Plus seems to be pretty sporadic, from what I've read. My 128GB Plus doesn't appear to suffer from the reported issue.

I set up as a new phone and it was fine using Messages. I restored from backup (without even syncing anything) and it happened right away in Messages. It apparently is not a JB thing, but it is related to something in my previous backup. I guess I'll set up as new and go through adding all my email addresses and setup stuff manually What a pain.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I set up as a new phone and it was fine using Messages. I restored from backup (without even syncing anything) and it happened right away in Messages. It apparently is not a JB thing, but it is related to something in my previous backup. I guess I'll set up as new and go through adding all my email addresses and setup stuff manually What a pain.
In contrast, I restored from backup.