Camera on the iPhone 5 Quit Working

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Lon, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

iPhone 5 camera quit working. Front facing works on Face Time and Tango. I am jailbroken on 6.1.2. I have removed every stock app and Cydia app that I can think of that might impact my camera. I have rebooted and hard rebooted. Still no luck. Is there an app that anyone knows of that may have done this. I do not want to restore as new because I do not want to lose my jailbreak. HELP

Sent Using iCafe App

2. Marc_

Marc_ Member
    Bronze

So when you load up the camera app just darkness or it doesn't recognize the rear camera?

Sent using iCafe app

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

It is like the shutter is closed and won't release to open.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

5. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

I would consider that to be more of a hardware problem than anything, as it's happened to me before. While a total restore could work, I don't think a Semi-Restore would do much.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you see the closed shutter graphic on the screen? If so, it's likely software, not hardware.

Have you tried using the camera in a third party camera/editing app (just to test)?

7. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

You sure? Sounds more like a hardware problem to me... Remove the camera from your phone, and the shutter should remain closed. The camera can't be activated due to a hardware problem is my guess. If it was a software problem, the shutter should at least open up and show a black screen.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I'm not sure. That's why I said "likely." I need him to test a third party app first. If that doesn't work and it still doesn't work after all of the troubleshooting steps, he'd need to restore to know with certainty.

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I have also had this happen before when my 4s was jailbroken. Sadly I can not remember which tweak or combinations of tweaks caused mine.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Lon also test your camera in safe mode.

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Unfortunately it still did not work in safe mode. It does not work on any third-party apps, including camera, video and scanner apps. The front facing camera did work on Tango but that is all. I have removed all tweaks which might impact the camera. It is sounding more and more like hardware.

Sent Using iCafe App

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just removed a bunch more tweeks. No luck. One way or the other - Restore or go to the Genius Bar, it looks like I lose my jailbreak for the rest of the year. If it is hardware, maybe the Apple Store replacement phones are still on 6.1.2!

Sent Using iCafe App

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you'll need to restore to be sure. Try the semi-restore first. The bright side is you can test the beta after you restore. You'll lose the jailbreak either way (if the restore fixes it or not). The odds of a 6.1.2 replacement are pretty much nil. Do a DFU restore if the semi-restore doesn't work.