Camera problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael Ciarlillo, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Michael Ciarlillo

Michael Ciarlillo New Member

Okay so my camera used to work fine but now when I try to open it the shutter just stays closed. Is this a hardware problem? I just did a restore with custom firmware and prior to the I took apart the phone to get to the battery. Im wondering if I accidentally crimped the ribbon or if it came loose. Any ideas?

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

What firmware and are you jailbroken?

3. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

What version phone too. An iPhone 4 is very easy to access the battery. The 3G and 3Gs are a little more difficult.
    Here is what I suggest: If you are using customer firmware, what did you upgrade from before you went custom? Restore back to that and test the camera. If it works fine, then you know it's the custom firmware malfunctioning. Restore the firmware and see if it fixes itself.
    If the camera is having problems no matter what firmware you are using, then it's hardware, but it's hard to say exactly what portion. It could be that the camera connector came loose, or as you said, a pinched cable.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Hawk, it's on the 3G section so it's probably that. Btw didn't the iPhone 4, when it first came out had a problem with the shutter not opening and it was a software issue? I can't remember.

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I remember that as well. It was one of the first reported bugs besides the signal issues. It was overshadowed because of all the call drop complaints.... I can't quite remember either.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

And proximity sensor lol thank god I waited couple months.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The only shutter problem I had that didn't open at all was a PDF making app, an update fixed that.

8. Michael Ciarlillo

I have a 3g with custom 4.2.1 SIMPLE custom firmware made from Sn0wbreeze. I have no idea how to restore it because I always get the 1015 error on a restore :(

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

My suggestion is to restore, I'm not familiar with that error or any for that matter.

If you don't find a solution maybe you can post a new thread with the error code issue.

#9 Bennyboy, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  10. Michael Ciarlillo

If the camera is crimped how would i go about fixing that?

11. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

getting a replacement camera unit. try cnn.cn

12. Sarah kolman

Sarah kolman New Member

The camera on my iPhone 4 is not working. When I select the camera app the shutter appears but it does not open. I am unable to take pictures or videos. Could you help me troubleshoot the problem and solution? thanks.

13. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Did your camera app work previously before and it has recently stopped working? Have you performed a reset of the phone? Hold down the power button and the home button until the Apple symbol appears and release, it will power off.

14. Sarah kolman

Sarah kolman New Member

The camera did work before--it suddenly stopped working recently. I have tried resetting in that way several times and it didn't solve the problem. Other ideas? Thanks for troubleshooting with me.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is it jailbroken? If so, do you have any Cydia camera or photo apps installed?

16. Sarah kolman

Sarah kolman New Member

What does jailboken mean? I only have the instagram app? Thanks for helping.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Since you have already done a hard reset, the next step is restoring in iTunes.

18. Sarah kolman

Sarah kolman New Member

How do restore in iTunes?

19. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Plug you iPhone in to your computer via the USB cable and open iTunes. Click once on the phone in the list on the left menu. On the info tab you will see the details of the phone and its operating system. You should also see a button that says backup now and a button that says restore.

20. Sarah kolman

Sarah kolman New Member

My computer would not recognize the USB connection to my iPhone but it would my iPad. A pop up appeared saying it did not recognize USB connection due to device malfunction. I reset all settings through the settings menu on the phone. It took an hour to reset and restore settings from iCloud. The camera problem was not resolved. Anything I can try next?