Camera Roll and Photo Stream gone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by PDACPA, Sep 17, 2014.

1. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

iOS8 seems to have taken the label of "Camera Roll" away. It just shows (under Albums) recent and the Photostream is gone.

What has me concerned is that when I looked at my photos it used to show me how many I had on my phone (4,xxx) and now the recently added only shows 477. Where did my old photos go that were in the Camera Roll?

2. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I was just going to ask this exact same question. I "recently added" only show 97 photos and I had over 400.... I can only find the other photos when click the "photo" tab at the bottom but then it's divided up into collections. I'm very confused by this. However all my albums are still there and intact

Sent using iCafe app

3. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

My camera roll used to show all the photos on my phone. I had some way back in 2008 at the very top. Those photos are there if you go look in collections. I do not like having to sort through the dates and stuff, sometimes I just want to scroll through my camera roll as I know when something happened (say before Labor Day but after 4th of July). I made two backups (itunes and icloud) so I am sure I have them, but still, this organization is terrible.

4. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I feel the same way. I understand they are all there, but the way I need to find what I'm looking for is a hassle. I'd rather have the camera roll back and have them show in the order I took them.

Sent using iCafe app

5. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

Yeah where are my photos? I stored on iCloud so how do I get them back on my iPhone?

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

A restore from that iCloud backup 'should' get your photos back.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There're there, just in order of the days. I don't like it. We had that before, but also the camera roll. I want the camera roll back.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

All your photos are on the camera roll?

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Recently added only gives me 52 of my 142 photos I had on the camera roll. Don't like that at all. And I don't need a recently deleted album. That will take space!! GEEZ!

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I got the camera roll briefly, then it vanished. A few of the photos on the Recents Album are some i had deleted a week or so ago. The Photos App is messed up! Did anyone on beta notice any of this?

11. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

All your photos are still there. They are now under photos>moments sorted by date.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah, and it's just confusing. I don't like that. They don't even have a rhyme or reason to where they place photos. I'll just use the app MyPhoto to organize my photos I keep at hand. Most are in folders in Box and Dropbox.

13. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

They are in chronological order.

The date is on the right side. Not sure sure what's confusing. The photos are place in chronological order for the date they are under.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411008725.783465.jpg

14. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

This is driving me nuts! Bring back camera roll! Wow! I hate this!

#14 RyansTitan05, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  15. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

I really really hate this! I just went to send a picture from when my house was hit in the tornado from May of last ear and couldn't not find it! This is riduclous.... I hate this so much! I use my camera and camera roll every day of my life! I genuinely hate this!

#15 RyansTitan05, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's true of photos I have taken. But I do a lot of photo editing and Photoshop on my phone. Those don't really have a day or date. I've figured it out though. It just had me befuddled. As I take photos or create images, I just need to put them in an album. Hopefully they stay there. I think this satisfies many who have complained about photos being in 2 places. This way, they're in an album and only on the camera roll a short time as a recent. This makes good sense. I'm a little slow. :D I guess if one wanted to, they could create an album and title it "Camera Roll", and put all their photos there.

#16 Ledsteplin, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My 5 is jailbroken so I'm keeping it on iOS 7. I have the beta on my iPad and hate being forced to view and access photos this way, but I don't really use my iPad for photos aside a few wallpapers and screenshots, so I haven't been too bothered by it. It would drive me nuts on my 5s since I'm used to the camera roll organization there and have a few hundreds of pics. However, I think it's going to be easier to get used to it when I get my iPhone 6 because I won't have an existing camera roll to disappear. Those of us who upgrade will start out having to use this different method and that will ease the transition.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The bad part is that regardless of how one organizes albums and such, it's going to be a pain going to the dated/location section to add photos from there to an album. I never did like that dated section. It had many photos wrong anyway. It was not fun viewing photos there. And the "Years" section is just stupid. But once one gets their albums organized, then it will be easier going forward. But we have to remember to add each photo taken or created to an album or it eventually gets deleted. I'm guessing a photo stays in Recents for 30 days, then is deleted from that album. It will then be lost on the dated section. Sometimes Apple just needs to leave well enough alone.

19. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

So I backed up my photos/videos to iCloud and on iTunes and still missing like 90% of my stuff. It shows I have 600+ but when I do a restore they still fail to appear.

20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

All this in anticipation of the new Photos App that will debut next year. That's my guess.