Camera Roll and Photo Stream gone

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
So I backed up my photos/videos to iCloud and on iTunes and still missing like 90% of my stuff. It shows I have 600+ but when I do a restore they still fail to appear.
Are you saying if you tap "Photos" at the bottom of the Photos app, you don't see photos in an order by either date or location? There are 2 options at the bottom. Photos and Albums. Tap photos. Are they not there? It's not the old camera roll, but all your photos should be there.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I do know that the old camera roll is gone but most of my pics never transferred over think what happened was after I backed up I started to delete stuff, then iCloud did a back up again and must of just saved everything after I deleted my stuff. Really wish I could just get my videos back that was the important memories I want.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I do know that the old camera roll is gone but most of my pics never transferred over think what happened was after I backed up I started to delete stuff, then iCloud did a back up again and must of just saved everything after I deleted my stuff. Really wish I could just get my videos back that was the important memories I want.
Yeah. Back up is not the same as storage. If you store files like in Box or Dropbox, then you can delete from the camera roll. You can't delete if it's just backed up to iCloud. You could if you turned off auto back up. you might can with iCloud Drive. I have all my videos stored in Box and off the camera roll. You might check the Genius Bar and see if they can be retrieved.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I agree that the change was not needed with the Camera Roll. It's not something that is a deal breaker on the phone and I like that I still can view all my photos in Chronological Order and that none of the photos were deleted. More than anything, it was a design move to slowly pull away from the stock Camera views.

Bunk009

Bronze
Sep 16, 2014
So I get that the photos are still there and all but what's bothering me is what @chris said in his article: That there's no way to tell when photo stream starts and ends.

I can deal but what's absolutely driving me bananas is that when I open an app like instagram and look at the camera, I'm seeing TWO of EVERY photo! One is on the device and one is in iCloud. How do I make sure that a) the photo will not get deleted in 1000 photos and B) that there aren't two?!

Hoping that this will all make sense with iCloud Drive.

Side note, I tried deleting all photos on my phone and then organizing them into albums (backed up on iPhoto) through my iMac and it worked and they're organized very nicely BUT I CANT EDIT OR DELETE THEM from these albums!

Just confused and looking for help. I don't like clutter BUT I also don't like losing stuff...

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
So I get that the photos are still there and all but what's bothering me is what @chris said in his article: That there's no way to tell when photo stream starts and ends.

I can deal but what's absolutely driving me bananas is that when I open an app like instagram and look at the camera, I'm seeing TWO of EVERY photo! One is on the device and one is in iCloud. How do I make sure that a) the photo will not get deleted in 1000 photos and B) that there aren't two?!

Hoping that this will all make sense with iCloud Drive.

Side note, I tried deleting all photos on my phone and then organizing them into albums (backed up on iPhoto) through my iMac and it worked and they're organized very nicely BUT I CANT EDIT OR DELETE THEM from these albums!

Just confused and looking for help. I don't like clutter BUT I also don't like losing stuff...
Why go through the Mac? You now can only delete from on the Mac. I just set up several albums on the Photos app. I like that better than Moments.

Oct 12, 2011
I am so puzzled and going crazy at this point. Half of my photos didn't transfer. It just shows a blank. When I tap the photo it shows it for one second. If I email the blank photo or send in an iMessage it is there. But not in moments or camera roll.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411244767.154816.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I am so puzzled and going crazy at this point. Half of my photos didn't transfer. It just shows a blank. When I tap the photo it shows it for one second. If I email the blank photo or send in an iMessage it is there. But not in moments or camera roll. View attachment 38433
How many photos? Have you tried a hard reset?
Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

Sep 23, 2014
What have I done. I should never have updated to iOS8 it realy sucks. Why not leave the camera roll and photo stream the way they were or at least the choice to leave them alone. I already spend most of my life charging my phone and iPad and updating everything all of the time now I have to relearn everything and spend more of my valuable time figuring out where everything went when I used to know where everything was.

CAN I DOWNGRADE AND GET RID OF iOS8?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What have I done. I should never have updated to iOS8 it realy sucks. Why not leave the camera roll and photo stream the way they were or at least the choice to leave them alone. I already spend most of my life charging my phone and iPad and updating everything all of the time now I have to relearn everything and spend more of my valuable time figuring out where everything went when I used to know where everything was.

There's sometimes a bit of a learning curve, but it often benefits us in the end. It's best to move forward. The battery problems will be fixed with a software update. I do agree with you on the camera roll and I think it's possible that Apple will add it back in with the next update since so many people want it back.

Yes, you can still downgrade, but you need to do it soon. The signing window probably won't be open much longer. Download the firmware and then shift + restore.

Sep 23, 2014
I got an iMac, iPhone and iPad specifically because I loved the way the photo stream worked. It may be time to dump Apple altogether and go back to PC and android.

Why would apple take something that works so well and smash the hell out of it?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

All your photos are there. They are just organized by date. Tap "Photos" at the bottom in the Photos app. You will see groupings. Moments is what you want. If you see years or collections, tap the photos until you get Moments. All your photos are there organized by date. If you want, you can create an album and title it "Camera Roll". Then add all your photos to that album. But each new photo would need to be added. I don't like it this way either. I created several albums and that's working for me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I got an iMac, iPhone and iPad specifically because I loved the way the photo stream worked. It may be time to dump Apple altogether and go back to PC and android.

Why would apple take something that works so well and smash the hell out of it?

You can still downgrade, but you need to do it soon. The signing window probably won't be open much longer. Download the firmware and then shift + restore.

Bunk009

Bronze
Sep 16, 2014

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Hey why is it that my device says I have 500+ photos when I go to settings--about BUT when I look at my storage in iCloud backup it says that this iPhone only backs up 250mb. Shouldn't it be more? Are these photos on my device or not?
How many do you have on your roll? Do you have My Photo Stream on? Are you backing up all your photos to the iCloud Photo Library? Are you using Shared Photo Stream?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Bunk009

Bronze
Sep 16, 2014
How many do you have on your roll? Do you have My Photo Stream on? Are you backing up all your photos to the iCloud Photo Library? Are you using Shared Photo Stream?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
On my roll I don't know. How do I tell it's gone? In moments I have prob about 500 but I have no idea if they're in photo stream only or on the device. Assuming they're on the device I would've thought the iCloud storage taken up would be more.

Photo stream on. Shared streams on although not sharing anything. By iCloud Photo Library backup do you mean just backing up to iCloud when plugged in locked and connected? Same way everything else backs up? lol I'm sorry to be so ridiculous. I am not sure about iCloud photo library