Camera Roll and Photo Stream gone

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
You answered your question. You said there were 500 photos showing, and you have 500 on your phone. In Moments. I still want to call it the camera roll. I'm as confused as you about all the iCloud and streaming stuff. I do know that My Photo Stream is for streaming photos from one device to another. The photos there only stay there 30 days, and then are deleted. iCloud Photo Library is like storage. iCloud back up is just backing up what's on your phone. Once in the iCloud Photo Library, you can delete those photos from your Moments on your phone. The same with Shared Photo Stream. You share photo albums with family and/or friends. Once in those albums, you can delete them from your...CAMERA ROLL dang it!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
If you Toggle on iCloud Photo Library, all the photos on your phone will go there. I may be wrong on some of this. So I guess if you don't share, you just use iCloud Library. But no albums. I turned photo sharing on today and found photos of my parents. I have no idea how they got there. It says I posted them in January of 2013. I was using my iPhone 4 then. The bum us titled "parents". I have ever no clue. I wish someone would explain how they got there.

Bunk009

Bronze
Sep 16, 2014
You answered your question. You said there were 500 photos showing, and you have 500 on your phone. In Moments. I still want to call it the camera roll. I'm as confused as you about all the iCloud and streaming stuff. I do know that My Photo Stream is for streaming photos from one device to another. The photos there only stay there 30 days, and then are deleted. iCloud Photo Library is like storage. iCloud back up is just backing up what's on your phone. Once in the iCloud Photo Library, you can delete those photos from your Moments on your phone. The same with Shared Photo Stream. You share photo albums with family and/or friends. Once in those albums, you can delete them from your...CAMERA ROLL dang it!

Wow thank you. Does it make sense that they're on my phone but my backup is so small? I remember my photo library alone was over a gig.

Super helpful thanks. And ICloud Photo Library is not available unless I turn on iCloud Drive?

Sigh. Thank god for Dropbox I guess but I like to be all apple-y about everything.

Thanks a million. Still don't 100% get it but part of me thinks maybe we're not supposed to until everything is up and running w iCloud Drive and new OS

Bunk009

Bronze
Sep 16, 2014
If you Toggle on iCloud Photo Library, all the photos on your phone will go there. I may be wrong on some of this. So I guess if you don't share, you just use iCloud Library. But no albums. I turned photo sharing on today and found photos of my parents. I have no idea how they got there. It says I posted them in January of 2013. I was using my iPhone 4 then. The bum us titled "parents". I have ever no clue. I wish someone would explain how they got there.

I have no option to toggle on iCloud Photo Library but drive not on either...

PARENTS loll

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
You can have more photos on your phone than is backed up. Depends on your last back up. Do you have auto back up turned on?

Bunk009

Bronze
Sep 16, 2014
You can have more photos on your phone than is backed up. Depends on your last back up. Do you have auto back up turned on?

Oh yes. Everytime I'm plugged in. Locked and wifi'd.

Before iOS update I had like 2 gbs free in iCloud storage. Now? I have 4.3 free of 5! Size of both iPad and iPhone 6 backups now less than 1gb. Same apps. Same everything. Just less photos. Not sure I think I must have em somewhere just haven't figured it out. They're on Dropbox too so it's not end of world

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Oh yes. Everytime I'm plugged in. Locked and wifi'd.

Before iOS update I had like 2 gbs free in iCloud storage. Now? I have 4.3 free of 5! Size of both iPad and iPhone 6 backups now less than 1gb. Same apps. Same everything. Just less photos. Not sure I think I must have em somewhere just haven't figured it out. They're on Dropbox too so it's not end of world
Yeah, I use Dropbox and Box as a safety net. I haven't yet figured out all the iCloud/streaming options yet. I'm getting there though. I also use OneDrive. Your thing: Before, what you had in iCloud was only a back up of what you had on your camera roll. Many of those photos have now been placed elsewhere for storage and deleted from your camera roll (or Moments), thus, you have less being backed up in iCloud. So more space in iCloud. I think! Someone correct me if I'm wrong!