Camera roll photos deleted with 1.1.1 firmware upgrade!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 14, 2007
I have a bone to pick with Apple. I went to upgrade my firmware to 1.1.1 (don't hassle me, I have my reasons), and upon its success, I found all of the photos in my camera roll, of my best friend's wedding, to be gone.

Knowing a bit about data recovery, I called Apple's Tech Support and laid into them for poor design of iTunes (not backing up the camera roll along with everything else, or at least putting a notification that these items would be deleted upon update somewhere more useful than the 20+ page license agreement that nobody reads). I also spoke with tier 1 and 2 support to find out if there was any way to recover these files, as I had not caused and new data to be written to the phone, possibly losing the desired data.

I have exhausted my knowledge, and would welcome any input on what I might to to recover these photos. The #1 problem as I see it is that I'm using an XP OS, and the photo drive doesn't mount the way a normal drive does, negating any file recovery software I might use.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Yep, there is no way to recover your camera roll pics, but they would be on your computer if you had sync'd them first. I lost some pics too 3 months ago, but now, I always sync.

GizmoDVD

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah I thought I had lost mine a while back but they ended up still being on the phone. Now I sync anytime I take some new pics. Speaking of, gotta sync now.
How do you Sync your photos from your iPhone to your computer? My only gives the options to sync pictures to it, not from it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Are you working with a Windows PC or a Mac? I know that with my PC everytime I plug the iPhone in, I get the option to sync the photos and take them off the iPhone and copy them to my computer.

If you are running a PC then plug in your iPhone, go to "My Computer" and you should see the "Apple iPhone" icon. Right click on the icon and you should see an option to "Get Pictures". This should automatically open up the software necessary to copy the pics to your PC.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
How do you Sync your photos from your iPhone to your computer? My only gives the options to sync pictures to it, not from it.
I assume you have a PC, but in case you don't, iPhoto should launch and ask you if you want to copy the iPhone pics.

GizmoDVD

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Are you working with a Windows PC or a Mac? I know that with my PC everytime I plug the iPhone in, I get the option to sync the photos and take them off the iPhone and copy them to my computer.

If you are running a PC then plug in your iPhone, go to "My Computer" and you should see the "Apple iPhone" icon. Right click on the icon and you should see an option to "Get Pictures". This should automatically open up the software necessary to copy the pics to your PC.
Thanks, that worked. I assumed there was a function in iTunes that would do it for me. Oh well.

Oct 14, 2007
I was afraid of that

I am making the point that iTunes does not offer options for syncing camera roll photos with the rest of the iPhone data. When you connect the iPhone to a Winows PC, it is the Windows OS Autorun feature that prompts you to deal with the data on the device, not iTunes. If a firmware upgrade is going to wipe the data from your phone, iTunes should handle the sync of ALL data.

Still pissed off.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
As a data-point I updated to 1.1.1 without losing any photos in my camera roll. Moreover, I restored (to 1.1.1 again) an additional three times--and never lost a single camera roll photo (I already had them on my PC, so I didn't care if they got deleted).

BTW: I don't really see it as a problem having to use Windows to handle photos. I actually prefer that the iPhone exposes itself as a camera and so photos can be uploaded to most any PC or Mac, without the need for iTunes. It's not that hard to ensure you have your photos backed up before trying something as invasive as a firmware update--especially if they are important photos.

--
Mike