Camera Shutter sound?

Bryman

Bronze
May 30, 2009
colorado
Is there a way to turn off the shutter sound? I searched but can't find anything!

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
If you're jailbroken...yes (you can just create a blank sound and replace the file.)
Stock...no.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If you jailbreak you can replace it with a less annoying sound or just a blank sound file. If you do not want to jailbreak...just flip the silent switch on the side of the phone before you start snapping ;) There is no way that I know of to turn the camera sound off, in settings, on a stock iPhone.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Is there a way to turn off the shutter sound? I searched but can't find anything!
Nope. Apple has put in this safety measure to protect the would be stalked and/or perved upon. :015:stickouttounge

On a serious note, there's possibly an app in Cyndia that will turn off the sound but I could be wrong. I haven't looked for one.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Put the phone in silent mode. That does it.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
Yes, what's the big deal, flip the silent mode switch and it works without a sound.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Lol... I really thought I was going to get to the bottom without one mention of the silent switch. Good on you, Lincoln!

Really, it's quite a simple procedure.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ah... so he did. He lost me at "jailbreak". :)

Blueline29

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
St. Louis
This is yet another reason I prefer the iPhone to my old Bold--there's no way to disable shutter sound on it, or at least there wasn't last I checked. I believe it had something to do with legal requirements, so as to protect the "perved upon." :) Love that phrase.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I believe it's law in Japan that a cell phone camera has to incorporate a shutter with sound.
So this explains why the phones in the US come standard with English instead of a character based alphabet. :D

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I was kidding. ;) The reason the iPhone in the US requires the shutter sound is due to Japanese law, hence the reason why we have English on our phones as standard instead of Japanese, lol.

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
So how does one replace the sound file with a blank file?

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
This is yet another reason I prefer the iPhone to my old Bold--there's no way to disable shutter sound on it, or at least there wasn't last I checked. I believe it had something to do with legal requirements, so as to protect the "perved upon." :) Love that phrase.
Thanks! Feel free to use it anytime you'd like. ;)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
So how does one replace the sound file with a blank file?
The easiest way is going to be to create a blank .wav or .mp3 file and use ToneFXs to change it, but ToneFXs is a paid app.

You can do it for free by creating a blank sound file, convert it to .aif, then just rename the extension to .caf name the file "photoShutter.caf"and place it in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds replacing the other file of the same name. It's probably a good idea to back up the original "photoShutter.caf" prior to doing this.

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
Done. I didn't have to pay for ToneFXs though. I got it through Cydia, when I opened it, it asked for a donation and said it was a trial version. I DLed the Windows application to my PC and it took about 30 seconds to fix the tone.

Thanks.