Camera - slow taking photos

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by ivantwilliams, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Morning all.

Has anyone noticed that from time to time when taking photos, the iPhone 6 Plus seems a little slow?

I think in my test, it is slower when using the flash. To me, I feel it has been this way from day one. This has been the same no matter what iOS I'm using.

Thanks for your input.
    Ivan

2. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

Slow on my iPhone 6 as well...like s long pause. Seems to happen when flash is in "auto". Sometimes it crashes and I have to restart the app. Rather annoying...

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

EXACTLY what happens to me. Glad to know I'm not alone :(

4. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Someone on another forum just pointed out, if you have HDR mode on (like I do) that slows it down, too.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It would make complete sense that it would be a tad slower taking photos when using the flash. It should be by a negligble amount, but, I would think the darker the light levels in the picture you're taking, the more the True Tone flash technology has to do.

Remember, it has to measure the light levels, and it has not one but two LEDs: "Each LED can be lit with a varying intensity that together produce 1,000 different color temperatures" (Source).

Here's another description courtesy of one "Caroline P." of what happens when you tap the icon to take the photo:

"So when u [sic] first hit the camera button (to take the picture) the flash measures the light temperature. Once it detects the temperature it uses just the right color [Note: The author of this explanation actually means "just the right intensity of the flash"*] to make the picture perfect. There is [sic] over a thousand colors to choose. All of this requires you no work [sic] all you have to do is to take the perfect picture, iphone [sic] 5s* does the rest."

The Note in brackets after the second sentence in the author's explanation was inserted by me.

*I realize she's addressing how it works on the iPhone 5s, and I know you have the iPhone 6 Plus, but what is happening on the 6 Plus is actually very, very similar to what happens on the iPhone 5s.

In a nutshell, after you tap on the Take Photo icon, your iPhone 6 Plus has a heck of a lot of processing to do in order to give you the best possible picture under the particular lighting conditions that exist wherever it is that you're taking the photo.

Hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

Does anyone else have a periodic crashing like me?

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Nope, I've never crashed. There are many causes. A full explanation is beyond the scope of this thread, but some causes include:

coronary artery disease
    hypoxia
    collapsed lung
    pulmonary embolism
    lack of blood volume

If it keeps on happening, I would seriously recommend checking into a hospital for professional medical attention.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

LMAO!

Mine Camera app has never crashed, merely the slowness I indicated earlier. And now I understand more when it happens.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Update the firmware if you have an update available. If it's already up to date, try a hard reset. Press the home button and the lock button at the same time until you see the Apple boot logo.

10. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

Thanks Europa. Firmware is up to date, and I did a hard reset. Seems to be working better, now.