Can a Mac mini be used like an Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by balisongflipper, Mar 27, 2011.

1. balisongflipper

Bronze

Jul 1, 2010
    Can a Mac mini be used like an Apple TV?
    I want to be able to put video from my iPad to my TV( my Mac mini is connected to).
    When I use iTunes sharing, I can stream content from my iTunes catalog to my iPad, but not the other way around.(maybe I'm wrong?).

2. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

Jan 16, 2008
    Apple TV is $99. Way easier to use and do what you want and you will be amazed at the cost vs value.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    Yeah, I don't know of a way to airplay from an iOS device to a computer.

But what you can do is use the Remote app to play content on your Mac Mini.

5. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

Dec 16, 2008
    no, there is a mac app created by Erika Sadun that allows you to airplay to a mac. and you don't need to jailbreak the phone for it to work. it see your mac as an Appletv2. ill find it if i can.

6. balisongflipper

Bronze

Jul 1, 2010
    I do believe this is what I was looking for. Thanks mate.
    I will try this when I get home and let you know if it works.

7. balisongflipper

Bronze

Jul 1, 2010
  8. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

Dec 16, 2008
    yes, i never actually tried it myself, i just know that it was out there. sorry. i believe Europa has used it for her ATV2. maybe ask her if she had any issues with it.

9. lemoon

lemoon Member
    Bronze

Oct 28, 2010
  10. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

Mar 31, 2008
    I can't believe Apple hasn't added the ability to stream from an iOS device to a computer. That makes more sense than the other way around. If you have media on an iOS device and you're at a friend's house, you want to play it on a bigger screen. Most people don't have an AppleTV but they do have a computer. I hope they add this functionality but it seems unlikely since they want everyone to buy an AppleTV.

11. Fineas

Fineas Member
    Bronze

Jul 13, 2008
    I have not tried Airplayer personally. My brother did and said it stopped working with the latest update to OSX. its my understanding that Airplayer was a very beta version. It looks like Erika has a more polished product that she is now selling for $7.99 called BananaTV. It looks like it will work with video and pictures, but not for audio streaming. I have not tried this either, as I have little use for it, but the video on the website looks impressive.

http://bananatv.net/

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    Never even heard of it.

13. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

Dec 16, 2008
    My bad, I thought I saw you post about it once. That's how I thought I had heard of it.