Can any app delete all photos at once?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Faraday, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Faraday

Faraday New Member

I use apps to wirelessly transfer my photos and videos to my computer. No problem.

But then I'm left manually selecting and deleting hundreds and photos and videos to free up space for new stuff.

If there is no such app and anyone has interest I'd be glad to write one and give it away free, just don't want to reinvent the wheel.

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

This is not permitted by Apple's SDK rules.

3. Faraday

Faraday New Member

fury - Wow I'm shocked. Happen to remember the section that's in?

Even with the 64GB model my family fills it up with videos and photos on a regular basis. Sometimes you need space and there is not a PC handy.

Is there at least a "select all", where you could then delete all selected at once?

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Well, there is no way to do it from the public class, and the rule about using private API takes care of any private workaround you might be able to find to do it. I think in general there is a "don't mess with the user's data" vibe about the SDK rules, so even if you did find a way it would probably not be approved.

Unfortunately, there is not a select all button in the interface. You could delete the pictures en masse by using a computer's camera interface software, but that sort of defeats the purpose of using wireless apps to transfer all of your photos...

5. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I too find this pretty darned irritating

6. Faraday

Faraday New Member

Is there a way to delete photos on the iPhone, using a computer, without using iTunes?

Maybe the solution is a button that remotely starts a desktop app that will connect to your phone and delete photos...

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I am either misunderstanding the question or am terribly misinformed.
    To delete as many photos on your iPhone as you wish - including all of them - simply connect your iPhone to your computer and open it as an external drive and open the file(s) containing your pictures. After you have transferred the pictures you want to save to a folder on your computer, you can highlight whichever ones you want off your iPhone and delete them, individually or in multiples.

8. Faraday

Faraday New Member

The problem is if you are out and about and want to video or photo a spontaneous event there is no computer to connect to free up a lot of space quickly. If your photos are backed up you should be able to nuke them.

Only (maybe) solution I can see is to attach an iPhone cable to a wireless USB gadget. Then in principle, an app could connect to the network and delete the photos.

9. Chris Ronald

Chris Ronald New Member

Thought there was... Let me look into that.

10. Faraday

Faraday New Member

Cool, giddy up Chris -

If you figure it out I'll send $1 to your paypal account for a trophy :)

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I think this link may be able to help you:

http://techtips.salon.com/remove-iphone-photo-library-884.html

Let me know if this works!

-Rafael

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

13. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

This doesn't address the OP's issue. This solution requires hooking up the phone to a pc or a Mac.

The question is: how to do a delete all when you're not connected.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Camera roll > Edit > Tap all of the pics to add a check mark on each > Delete

This is much faster than deleting them individually. I could delete hundreds of them in just a couple minutes this way. The ability to delete the camera roll with two warnings before actually deleting them would be nice, but I think Apple is worried about kids accidentally deleting the camera roll or something, so they don't want to make it too easy.

15. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

This is probably the best solution. But your fingers are much faster than mine. It still takes me forever.