Can anyone help me fix my iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by PhyxsioN, Oct 4, 2010.

1. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

Hey everyone, I'm in a very depressing state right now.
    My iPhone 3GS crashed on me and I have my life on it.
    It happened all of a sudden too, I tried to see what time it was and nothing would turn on.
    When I plugged it into my wall charger to see if the battery just died, it turned on and the screen where it says to connect to iTunes showed up.
    Then I took the phone off of my charger and everything went black again.
    I then attempted to connect my iPhone to my laptop so that I could connect it to iTunes but my phone would show only the screen where the Apple emblem comes up and then the phone will go black and continuously repeat this process.
    So now I'm not able to connect to iTunes through my laptop and it will only show the "connect to iTunes" screen when it's plugged into the wall charger
    It will only stay on if connected to a charger. otherwise it shuts off and doesn't turn on.

Does anyone know what is wrong with it and how I can fix it?

2. soma4society

soma4society Member
    Bronze

Did you try a hard reset? (Home + power buttons at the same time.). If that doesn't do it you can force it into a restore mode by executing a hard reset then continuing to hold the HOME button while you connect the phone to iTunes. After a moment or two iTunes should recognize it and you can restore as new or from backup. Hope this helps.

3. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

Hey, first off thanks for responding to my thread. I tried to force it into recovery mode and it started working, but then said that it could not restore my iPhone. A friend of mine said that it may just be the battery and that I need to replace that. Is that a possibility?

4. Maketso

Maketso Member
    Silver

I'm not basing this on any knowledge, but that was my first thought on reading your post. Are you near an Apple store where they can check it for you?

5. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

No I'm not, the closest one to me I believe is about an hour away.
    When I tried to force it into recovery mode, it began to restore, but then an error popped up saying that it couldn't restore it.
    It was error 1611.
    If I unplug the phone from the laptop then it turns off and won't turn back on until I plug it back into my laptop or my wall charger.
    So to be able to put it into recovery mode it has to be plugged in.

6. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

iPhone 3GS: Error 1611, need help fixing!

Okay, so here's the revised and current problem.

My phone crashed on me and would NOT turn on UNLESS plugged into the wall charger or the USB on my laptop.
    When plugged into the wall charger it would turn on and would go to the screen where it tells me to "connect to iTunes" and allows me to make emergency calls.
    When connected to my laptop it only opens up the power on screen with the Apple logo, but when forcing it into recovery mode it will go to the screen that tells me to "connect to iTunes" but does not allow me to make emergency calls.
    When connecting it to iTunes and attempting to restore it, I get the error 1611.
    I've tried a few things to fix it, like making sure iTunes is up to date, restarting my laptop, disabling my security system, and using different USB ports.
    A friend of mine told me that it could just need a battery replacement, but the battery I was using held a charge. It would last me the whole day.
    And if it was just the battery then would it be making me restore everything?

7. soma4society

soma4society Member
    Bronze

Id think if it was the battery youd get the low power icon at some point. You can give this a try...

1- Change the USB port the phone is plugged in to. Do not plug the phone back in yet.

2- Reboot the computer then plug the phone in and immediately restart the phone in DFU WHILE CONNECTED to the computer.

3- Hit restore.

8. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

Tried it, didn't work.
    If I leave it plugged into the USB, it'll keep detecting the iPhone, I try to restore, and then the error pops up. So it's a continuous cycle until I disconnect the phone from the USB.

9. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

sounds like your battery went bad all of a sudden, nicad and nickel metal batteries give you a warning. seems like lithium based batteries don't. I fixed a phone that was doing the same thing by replacing the battery.

10. David Chu

David Chu New Member
    Bronze

A) Are you near an Apple Store?
    B) When did you get the iPhone?

If it was after Oct 6, 2009, RUN to the Apple Store! (if you can).

Edit: oops didn't read the posts over too carefuly. You could still send it out to Apple, esepcially if you're still under warranty.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I doubt it's the battery. It's sounds like an infinite reboot loop. A restore will fix that. There are tools that will allow you to bypass the 16xx errors. Are you trying to restore to 4.1?

12. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

I had a friend tell me that it could possibly be the battery as well. But I've had others tell me otherwise so I'm unsure at the moment.

13. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

I don't think that's possible, I bought the phone from Craigslist, had it for about a month, then this happened.

14. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

Yes I am, I had updated the phone to 4.1 before this happened.

15. David Chu

David Chu New Member
    Bronze

Go look up your serial number at http://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

16. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

17. David Chu

David Chu New Member
    Bronze

Darn. I got mine from CL as well but I was lucky that the warranty ends in Feb '11.

Try unplugging your iPhone from the computer, holding the home button, and plugging it in. Then release the home button. Restore from there.

If that works, great. If not, or if it gives you that error, try getting a program that will throw your phone out of the recovery loop. I think there is one called RecBoot.

18. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

Yeah, thanks though.

19. David Chu

David Chu New Member
    Bronze

Look at my edited post :p

20. PhyxsioN

PhyxsioN New Member

I've tried that. It will continuously give me the 1611 error. And after that I tried RecBoot but no go.