Can anyone help?

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
I've recently had my laptop stolen and having no back up Ive lost my iTunes library I do have stuff on my iPod touch and iPhone. Is it easy to reconnect to my new laptop, download iTunes and synch back my content without loosing it for good.

I have attempted to purchase online touchCopy which may help though not got it downloaded yet. Any help will be appreciated. I know I am a fool for not keeping a back up but lesson painfully learned now. cheers Panpot

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I've recently had my laptop stolen and having no back up Ive lost my iTunes library I do have stuff on my iPod touch and iPhone. Is it easy to reconnect to my new laptop, download iTunes and synch back my content without loosing it for good.

I have attempted to purchase online touchCopy which may help though not got it downloaded yet. Any help will be appreciated. I know I am a fool for not keeping a back up but lesson painfully learned now. cheers Panpot
are you mac or pc?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You're going to most likely need a program that can transfer the items from your iPod/iPhone back to your laptop. You might be able to find some freeware but most of the times the programs like this require payment, usually $20-$30 but you get to keep the program so that's a pretty good deal.

There are also methods that do not require software but I haven't tried them so I can't recommend whether to use them.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I recommend the same as Binks. Probably your best bet.

Sorry to hear about the laptop.

- John

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Yeah there is. I'm not 100% sure on where the songs are on the iPod touch but I think its /var/root/Library/Media/something. It might be in var/mobile if you're on 1.1.3/4. Sadly my iPhone is still out of action so I can't test it.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
For the record, one CAN export iTunes from the iPhone using ssh.

Navigate to /private/var/mobile/media/iTunes_control/music/

The folders labeled: F00, F01, F02, etc., in the music directory are where your songs live. The iPhone has renamed them in a cryptic text, however.

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Thanks everyone for a prompt reply. I have a PC and have now purchased TouchCopy but it does'nt as yet recognize either my iPhone or iPod touch when I connect them. So I am unable to get it to work but have emailed their support people for assistance. I will get back with any progress unless of course any of you guys can guide me. Unfortunately I am really limited in experience of this techie world and although I am aware of jailbreaks I would have no confidence in having a go.