Can Apple make a 4GB an 8GB?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 11, 2007
I love my iPhone and so far it has been working flawlessly. My only regret is getting a 4GB instead of an 8GB. It is way past the return period for me as well. Do you think Apple would be able to swap the 4GB memory chip for an 8GB? It seems that, theroetically, it would be possible. The question is A) Will they do it and B) How much would it cost?

Thanks for the input.

Eiko

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I love my iPhone and so far it has been working flawlessly. My only regret is getting a 4GB instead of an 8GB. It is way past the return period for me as well. Do you think Apple would be able to swap the 4GB memory chip for an 8GB? It seems that, theroetically, it would be possible. The question is A) Will they do it and B) How much would it cost?

Thanks for the input.
No problem. Go to the store. It will cost 600+ tax.

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Go to ifixit.com they sell the logic board for the iPhone with the memory on board....right now they have only the 4gb ones, but I am sure they will get the 8gb ones. Seems like a bad idea to me (voids warranty), but it is an option

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Based on an email response I got from pocketpctechs, they may very well be working on memory upgrades. I asked specifically about whether they planned to make available larger capacity upgrades for the 8G (like on the order of 16G, 32G, etc). Their response was that they are basically experimenting to see if it's possible...

:laugh2:

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
I have seen somewhere where they made a 4 gig to a 8 gig by just sodering another 4 gig chip on the board... So not sure how they iPhones board is setup but it could be done

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
This would be a great idea. I would love to have 16GB of memory it would clear up a lot of issues by fitting EVERYTHING on it at once

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
as solid state memory becomes more avaible and gets cheaper it may be possible to upgrade it to the 20Gb+ area... i would love to have a 100Gb iPhone but i know that would never happen... by then we will be at gen 8 of the iPhone

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston

at about 2 mins it shows you the chip and tells you it is the same one used in the ipod nano so i bet your 4 gig could get a 8 gig nano and rip the chip out and soder it on...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
<------Foul langauge and personal attacks will not be tolerated. There are forum policies for a good reason. Please follow them.------------>

iRon

Aug 8, 2007
NorCal
You might take somewhat of a loss on it, but you could sell your 4gb (craigslist, ebay, etc) and just go buy an 8gb. That would probably be the easiest way, and your new 8gb would be warrantied.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
This would be a great idea. I would love to have 16GB of memory it would clear up a lot of issues by fitting EVERYTHING on it at once
Well, one issue is that with a lot more memory, you can carry around a lot more music, but until there is a way to use the device as a drive, there's really no other advantage. Hopefully we'll see the implementation of some sort of "folder" management system in a timely update, but then comes the whole OS situation. Is there a way to implement a folder system that is compatible with Windows AND Mac os? What will REALLY damage this whole process would be if Apple decides to make this available to Apple computer owners at the exclusion of Windows users. Seems like it would be a simple matter to make the iPhone a Mac compatible drive, but much more difficult to make it work in the Windows environment simultaneously. I suppose this could be a reason why it wasn't initially done that way?

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
I don't see why it should be such a difficulty. For the most part Apple probably just has to do the same thing it did with the 30gb/high capacity models.