Can Apple Really Sell 10M 3GS?

Jul 17, 2007
Just looked at the 3G coverage map (I'm in Texas) and didn't see much in the way of dark blue coverage. I'm in rural South Texas and CANNOT upgrade to the new phone. Not only would I have to pay more for no 3G coverage, but I would also lose the Edge speeds I luckily do have today. Zoom out to the rest of the US and there is a hell of a lot more light blue than dark. Seems to me that abandoning Edge for 3G makes a good number of metro consumers happy, but leaves the rural users high and dry. Or will the iPhone receive both Edge and 3G?

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
It'll receive both.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
still no reason to upgrade unless you just really want GPS.

As far as Apple selling 10M 3g iPhones. Absolutely. Now that they are selling it in far more markets and the phone is subsidized here in the US I see it bringing in a lot of people that couldn't previously buy one.

JuSeDing

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
Torontoo
Just a quick question to add to this, since it will be covered for EDGE and 3G. How come you have to pay an extra 10$ for 3G? What if you buy it only to use on EDGE? Or is it mandatory since it is 3G iPhone?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Just a quick question to add to this, since it will be covered for EDGE and 3G. How come you have to pay an extra 10$ for 3G? What if you buy it only to use on EDGE? Or is it mandatory since it is 3G iPhone?
I don't think it's about spending more for 3G, it's about AT&T bringing the iPhone more in line with their other offerings. AT&T charges $30 for their PDA Personal data plan, which is used on every other smartphone they sell.

There was always some confusion on the data plans for the iPhone and other devices, now, it'll be all the same.

Joe