Can I activate a Jailbroken & Unlocked iPhone on AT&T?

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I am considering purchasing a unlocked & jailbroken iPhone from someone.(because its a good deal) Will I be able to activate it through iTunes and use it on AT&T like I have with so many locked iPhones or will I encounter trouble? Also will I still be able to do the software upgrades etc. or will it brick my phone? Thanks!

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
you can activate it but there's no reason for it to be unlocked. Do not try to update through iTunes while jailbroken or unlocked.

I would buy it if its such a good deal, relock it and only jail break if you want.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The phone can revirginized to stock and then you can activate it on iTunes. Check the iPhone Modifications forum for details.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
The phone can revirginized to stock and then you can activate it on iTunes. Check the iPhone Modifications forum for details.
I don't know much about unlocking, but would it have to be revirginized prior to activating for everything to work properly?

Unlocking will let you use any gsm carrier, including att, right?

Just curious, figured I'd try to learn something.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I don't know much about unlocking, but would it have to be revirginized prior to activating for everything to work properly?

Unlocking will let you use any gsm carrier, including att, right?

Just curious, figured I'd try to learn something.
No, the iPhone does not need to be revirginized for it to work. Once unlocked, just pop and active SIM in and away you go. My iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked. I am using it with AT&T.

The only catch with carriers other than AT&T is the data plan. You will need to find an alternative like T-Mobile zones.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Again, just curious, why did you unlock to use it on AT&T?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Again, just curious, why did you unlock to use it on AT&T?
No need, but I am planning on giving the iPhone to my daughter. With it unlocked, not only can I drop in my pre-paid T-Mobile SIM, but if I need to restore it after my number transfers to the iPhone 3G, I won't be haunted by the iTunes activation warning. I've Pwned it, and now have a customized 1.1.4 firmware I created using IPSW Builder.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
No, the iPhone does not need to be revirginized for it to work. Once unlocked, just pop and active SIM in and away you go. My iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked. I am using it with AT&T.

Well I know obviously an unlocked phone will work with any gsm provider. I was just worried about certain things like visual vm and such functioning properly. Plus I have heard nonsense like if your account has an iPhone on it when the 3G iPhone is released you will receive the subsidized price while people uneligible for upgrades with their account showing a different device will not be.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109

Okay thanks for clarifying that. Can I simply do a restore to "revirginize" an unlocked & jailbroken iPhone?(I know probably not that easy)

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
No need, but I am planning on giving the iPhone to my daughter. With it unlocked, not only can I drop in my pre-paid T-Mobile SIM, but if I need to restore it after my number transfers to the iPhone 3G, I won't be haunted by the iTunes activation warning. I've Pwned it, and now have a customized 1.1.4 firmware I created using IPSW Builder.
Just make-sure that the data doesn't work on the T-mobile sim, and that you arent being charged for the wi-fi she may pick up:sick:
-Cause I know the data on prepaid phones add up "quickly" (SERIOUS):sick: