Can I activate old iPhone V1 after upgrading to iPhone 3G

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I have a question about activating and unlocking

We ordered new 3gs this week , My wifes will be here tomorrow, We are sending both V1 phones back to Apple for repair before selling/gifting them to someone.

The question is when we pick up her 3g tomorrow at AT&T and they activate it. then receive her V1 back from Apple will i be able to unlock her old V1 phone or does it have to be activated 1st and if so can i activate it even though we just activated her 3g?

I am hoping the replacement we get back has 1.1.4 software on it instead of 2.0 i understand that it is much easier to unlock .

Anyway i was just wondering if i am going to have trouble unlocking/jailbreaking her V1 after picking up her 3g tomorrow

Thanks

Larry

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Another question to add to it. If i don't do anything to her 8gb just put it on ebay and sell it do i need to do anything or just pull out the sim (if it has one in it when its back from Apple ) and sell it

or do i need to hook it to the pc for any reason first

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Another question to add to it. If i don't do anything to her 8gb just put it on ebay and sell it do i need to do anything or just pull out the sim (if it has one in it when its back from Apple ) and sell it

or do i need to hook it to the pc for any reason first
Do not sell with sim card in phone. If the phone has 2.0 then go to settings-general-reset-erase all content and settings. This takes about an hour but wipe the phone and installs virgin firmware on it. If it is not 2.0, check out this article.