Can I avoid AT&T data plan by using existing non-iPhone SIM card?

Apr 1, 2008
I am getting a 3g and my wife wants my original iPhone. If i just took her sim card out and put it into my iPhone would it work without having the $30 data sub from att? Is there anyway i could get around having this sub to get it to work? Any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I am getting a 3g and my wife wants my original iPhone. If i just took her sim card out and put it into my iPhone would it work without having the $30 data sub from att? Is there anyway i could get around having this sub to get it to work? Any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Because the iPhone is activated through iTunes on a certain line, simply removing the "non-iphone provisioned" SIM card and inserting into an iPhone will not work, AFAIK. You'd need to jailbreak/unlock the phone, and essentially be careful to NOT use any data unless you're on Wifi because AT&T will charge you per kilobyte...

Apr 1, 2008
in other words, stay off the net once i jb it and put her sim in it?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
in other words, stay off the net once i jb it and put her sim in it?
Not only that, but ensure that you don't have your Mail set to Fetch every so many minutes, not accessing the App Store, Weather, etc., unless you're on Wifi. Remember to unlock the phone too, not just jailbreak...