Can I avoid transferring purchases from my iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by iP5, Jan 20, 2015.

1. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

up until today, I've never had to connect my iPod to my PC.
    unfortunately my wife needs some songs transferred to it.

edit: someone will likely suggest buying the song from iTunes on the iPod. actually, its a rip of a cello CD that my child uses to practice from. so no, having to buy it again is not an option as the music is specific to his classes and I shouldn't have to pay twice for media I already own.

so now I'm forced to install/use iTunes and to sync my iPod apps.

edit: figured out that I'd like to disable iTunes App syncing. I've found suggestions of Edit > Preferences > Devices > Prevent ... auto syncing. unfortunately this doesn't deliver the wish of being able to sync just music and nothing else. it may not sync automatically but I'm still forced to do an App sync when wanting to resync music.

is there anyway to avoid having to transfer the hundreds of apps from my iPod to my PC.
    I'm assuming there is not. if that's the case, where then would the folder be so that I can dump it after I've transferred the one song.

ideally, I would just like to have the ability to move mp3's to the iPod without any of the other sticky garbage that just consumes space on my computer. is that too much to ask?

#1 iP5, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your iPod is jailbroken, isn't it? I would just use iFile to email the songs. There are also apps that allow you to transfer songs over Bluetooth to non-iOS devices, such as AirBlue Sharing.

If you would rather go through your computer, just check the manually manage music and videos box on the summary page in iTunes to avoid syncing and transferring the apps. Then you can drag and drop the .mp3s to your desktop.

3. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

no, I no longer jailbreak (nor root) any of my devices.

I'll look at the manual management. at first glance it didn't look like that turns off app syncing but I'll look closer.

Sent from my OnePlus One

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it starts to sync, just cancel it. You don't need that.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If a few of the apps do get through, you can always delete the app from your computer's hard drive. It's easy to do. If you're using the latest version of iTunes, here are the steps.

Click or hover over the "…" icon near the top of the app's main window, then click on Apps (your app window may look slightly different since you're on a PC):

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 9.59.48 PM.png

Highlight all the apps you wish to remove from your computer's hard drive, or press Cmd+A to highlight them all.

Then, either click on Edit > Delete or press the Backspace key on your keyboard. Before the apps are removed, you'll get two prompts, which you should answer as follows:

Are you sure you want to delete the selected app from your iTunes library? Yes.
    Do you want to move the selected app to the Trash, or keep it in the Mobile Applications folder? Move to Trash.

You'll regain the space on your hard drive after you empty the Trash.

Most people have no reason to keep these apps on the computer's hard drive, since (a) The apps obviously can't run on the computer, and (b) The apps can be re-downloaded to the user's iDevice(s) from the App Store at any time, and as many times, as needed.

The only reason I would see to keep these files there is if expect to have to perform a complete restore of your iDevice (including apps) during a moment when you have no Internet access, or if you don't want to go through the trouble of downloading these apps to your iDevice one by one again from the App Store (for example, you're upgrading from last year's iPhone to a brand new one, and you don't want a clean start but want your new iPhone to be a carbon copy of your old one).