Can I buy a used iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pcm2a

Nov 19, 2007
Hey everyone. I already am on AT&T with a PDA phone and a PDA plan. What I am hoping to do is to buy a used iPhone and just pop my sim card in.

Since the used phone will be locked but already activated on the AT&T network what will happen when I pop my sim card in? Will everything, including web/email work, except for the visual voicemail?

If nothing will work because the phone is locked to the sim, then I should be able to restore to the defaults, and run the trick to bypass the activation and be good to go?

I wouldn't think that I would have to do the unlock junk since I am going to use it on AT&T.

Thanks!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I think you still have to activate via iTunes, and you will have to add on the data plan for $20 - I think you'll HAVE to add the $20 plan b/c it's "iPhone specific"... But once you've done that, you should be able to switch back and forth. Chris (the admin on this site) said that he switches from a Q to the iPhone no problem, but he had to set up a different line for his BlackBerry b/c that too had a phone specific plan.

pcm2a

Nov 19, 2007
Thanks for that bit of intel. I already pay $20 for my media plan, I hate to double that up and pay for two different plans just to switch back and forth. I guess I would have to bite the bullet and ditch the HTC.

I assume that data/email stuff is working on other carriers once the phone is totally unlocked?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Thanks for that bit of intel. I already pay $20 for my media plan, I hate to double that up and pay for two different plans just to switch back and forth. I guess I would have to bite the bullet and ditch the HTC.

I assume that data/email stuff is working on other carriers once the phone is totally unlocked?
Well, I wouldn't just assume you'd have to double up. I think you might be fine, depending on the phone. Your best bet would probably be to call ATT directly and ask...

As for unlocking, everything works except visual voicemail.