Can i buy iPhone 3GS straight out of store then activate it later?

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
Can i just buy the phone then open it and add it to my account later on? I understand i cant use it or anything.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Don't they have it on PAYG in the US?

I just bought mine in the UK on PAYG activated it in iTunes with the PAYG sim I got with it then put my contract sim card in it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Don't they have it on PAYG in the US?

I just bought mine in the UK on PAYG activated it in iTunes with the PAYG sim I got with it then put my contract sim card in it.
Not 100% sure, but I though I read that PAYG is no more for the iPhone here.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
so i can buy it now and activate later since im not activating it right away and im impatient haha

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I wonder if you order it online if it comes activated or not... sorry I don't know the answer but it could be an option. I'll know later this week, a buddy ordered one and I'll be able to see if it is already activated or not.

Jul 14, 2008
Not 100% sure, but I though I read that PAYG is no more for the iPhone here.
No more pay as you go. They dropped that around the first of the year.

Even the no contract full price iPhone needs to be activated on a current contract before it leaves the store.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Yes you can, but the phone will be $599/$699 (16GB/32GB). The only way to buy it w/o contract and activation is to pay full pop for the phone. Then you leave the store with the phone unopened.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I ordered my first iPhone 3GS from Apple directly at the unsubsidized price. It arrived un-activated and I was able to just use the SIM card from my iPhone 3G and start using it right away. So, if you buy an unsubsidized online from Apple or AT&T, it should arrive un-activated.

terrapin

Bronze
Aug 3, 2009
Chicago
yes and no

i bought 3G's, not the new 3GS a while back at 2 different Appl retail stores. Twice, I was handed the sealed box and left the store activated it at home. When I bought m new 3Gs, however, it was activated in store. I asked if I just go because I was in a rush and the Apple employee said it needed to be activated there. I guess it depends on whether policy/protocol is followed or not.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i bought 3G's, not the new 3GS a while back at 2 different Appl retail stores. Twice, I was handed the sealed box and left the store activated it at home. When I bought m new 3Gs, however, it was activated in store. I asked if I just go because I was in a rush and the Apple employee said it needed to be activated there. I guess it depends on whether policy/protocol is followed or not.
I am sure that could happen, although usually not the case. I have bought a couple full price 3GS 32GB ($699.00 each) and since I was paying the full unsubsidized price, I do not have to activate in-store if I don't want to.

terrapin

Bronze
Aug 3, 2009
Chicago
it usually is NOT the case, that's correct. but it happened to me twice with 4 phones - 50/50