can I cancel contract with AT&T ?

Miger97

Jan 29, 2008
I have iPhone never activated since few months.

If I activated it now with AT&T, I suppose for 2-year contract, what if lose my iPhone and I need to cancel the contract. Possible ? Any penalty ?

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
If there is a contract, there will always be an early termination fee. Otherwise, there would be no point for the contract. If you did want to cancel if you lost your phone, it would be 200.00, but you could always replace the phone, even if it isn't an iPhone, and fulfill your contract.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If there is a contract, there will always be an early termination fee. Otherwise, there would be no point for the contract. If you did want to cancel if you lost your phone, it would be 200.00, but you could always replace the phone, even if it isn't an iPhone, and fulfill your contract.
No way around the early termination fee. Like she said, you could always get another phone of any kind to fulfill the contract.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
after reading it a few times I still think all you need to know is any company will charge you a fee if you break the 2 yr contract

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Im sure that if it does pass, the companies will still find a way to make the contract-option far more desirable

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Im sure that if it does pass, the companies will still find a way to make the contract-option far more desirable
The proposed bill looks pretty iron clad. However, all bills usually look that way but contain many loop holes/drawbacks.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I agree. If this bill does pass, I still think we won't be any better off. On the other side, these cell phone co. pump a lot of money into Washington through lobbyist so it may have a tough time passing.

kalda01

Feb 27, 2009
I read the service agreement and it clearly states that moving to an area with no coverage entitles you to terminate the contract.
What if I notify AT&T of moving out of the country? would they still enforce the ETF ?

Dec 8, 2008
N
Lol better come up with 200 man... Theres no "tricks"

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I read the service agreement and it clearly states that moving to an area with no coverage entitles you to terminate the contract.
What if I notify AT&T of moving out of the country? would they still enforce the ETF ?
They will ask you for proof that you already have moved out of the country. My first phone was with Verizon when I went away to school. I moved back to Alaska where they have no service. I tried to cancel before but they said once I got up there I could fax a utility bill as proof that I had left their coverage area.

kalda01

Feb 27, 2009
Why $200 when the service agreement says the ETF is $175 and resuced by $5 each month ? This means $170 after one month.

kalda01

Feb 27, 2009
does it matter If I tell them I moved out before 30 days from the purchase date ?
I can fax them utility bills from abroad with my name...no problem at all.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
does it matter If I tell them I moved out before 30 days from the purchase date ?
I can fax them utility bills from abroad with my name...no problem at all.
No idea on that one. I was about 10 months into my contract. You'll just have to call them.

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
It starts at $175.00 then each month the contract is fulfilled drops $5.00, called a "Declining ETF" - and if you have an iPhone (3G) that you purchased at the 2-year or early upgrade pricing, there is no way of getting around the ETF if you cancel your service while still under contract.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cell Phone companies have already started making their way around that Bill. In some markets such as PA, Texas, And Cali, and others. Customers can choose the same rate plans as others with having to pay only $5 extra per month. These are special PYP (Pick Your Plan) rates. However, they offer some phones at subsidized pricing, but don't have to offer all phones. You want a smart phone then you have to pay full price.

kalda01

Feb 27, 2009
AT&T already told me the ETF will be waived once I submit a utility bill as proof of residence in a no-service area.
So looks I'm out of the contract after paying only $230 for my iPhone.