Can I change filenames or permissions with MobileFinder?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey everyone.
I have a Summerboard theme without an SMS icon. But it does have an Apollo icon. I want to rename the Apollo.png icon to sms.png, can I do that with MobileFinder? I tried to do it already and it just reverts back to the original name. I can view the file attributes and it is set to 493. Does that need to be at 755 to be able to change the name? Can I change permissions using MobileFinder? Sorry so many questions.
I used to use iBrikr to manipulate files, but that doesn't work on my 1.1.3 iPhone anymore. If I cant make these changes with MobileFinder, what program should I be using on my PC?
Thanks

zanDark

Dec 14, 2007
Athens - Greece
haven't used MobileFinder but I find iPhonebrowser to be quite alright for transferring files :) (you can find it very easily through google)

when I want to rename an icon in a particular theme I just download to my desktop, rename it and then retransfer it into the theme again...don't know if you can do that using MobileFinder but with iPhonebrowser it's really easy :)

oh and btw the sms icon is named Text.png :)

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
haven't used MobileFinder but I find iPhonebrowser to be quite alright for transferring files :) (you can find it very easily through google)

when I want to rename an icon in a particular theme I just download to my desktop, rename it and then retransfer it into the theme again...don't know if you can do that using MobileFinder but with iPhonebrowser it's really easy :)

oh and btw the sms icon is named Text.png :)
I will have to check out iPhonebrowser. Do you know for sure if it works with 1.1.3? Ill have to do a search on that.

zanDark

Dec 14, 2007
Athens - Greece
I have 1.1.4 and it works great with a "fix" I downloaded from http//i.unlock.no in installer

Download ZiPhone iBrickr Fix from the source I gave you, and reboot your phone

credit goes to Tinman for this info but I can't find the link to the particular thread LOL

once you've downloaded and rebooted iBrickr and iPhonebrowser won't give you a hard time about file transferring :laugh2:

hope this helps :)

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Thank you zanDark. You read my mind. I already found that Tinman thread and downloaded the fix. I just have to get home to run iPhonebrowser.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
As an FYI if you issue these commands in terminal or via SSH it will fix Mobile Finder so it can properly change filenames, delete files, rename, etc.:

chmod 4755 /Applications/Finder.app/Finder
chmod 4755 /bin/cat /bin/chmod /usr/bin/chown /bin/cp /bin/ls
chmod 4755 /bin/mkdir /bin/mv /bin/rm /bin/rmdir /bin/unlink

--
Mike

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
As an FYI if you issue these commands in terminal or via SSH it will fix Mobile Finder so it can properly change filenames, delete files, rename, etc.:

--
Mike
Mikey, you are always there for me bro, thanks. Stupid question though. I have yet to delve into the terminal portion of the iPhone. Is this something I can download off of Installer? I assume so however I can only find 2 terminal apps and Im not sure which one to use.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Nevermind, I think I figured it out. That was to easy.
Thanks again Tinman.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

--
Mike
Hey Mike, did you read the caveat with chmodding /bin/mkdir @ 4775?

From George Zhu's Blog:

giving 4755 to /bin/mkdir might have side effect. Suppose an application calls /bin/mkdir to create a folder (although it shouldn’t be programmed in this way), then tries to write data into the folder, it’ll fail because the /bin/mkdir is SUID root hence the folder it creates is owned by root, not by mobile.
I also ran into the odd problem of not being able to save my Finder preferences anymore, and as such I was stuck in the defaulted folders without access to the system files. I couldnt save the prefs to enable system file browsing, so I've since reverted back :T

If 1.1.3/4 has done anything, it's made me much more familiar with vTerm :(

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL

From George Zhu's Blog:

I also ran into the odd problem of not being able to save my Finder preferences anymore, and as such I was stuck in the defaulted folders without access to the system files. I couldnt save the prefs to enable system file browsing, so I've since reverted back :T

If 1.1.3/4 has done anything, it's made me much more familiar with vTerm :(
DOH! I just did those commands, so far so good though.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Great. In case anyone else needs to know, install these, in the order listed:

MobileTerminal (System category).
SUID LibFix (1.1.3 Tweaks)
BSD Subsystem 2.0 Term fix (Tweaks)

The second two fix an issue with logging in, and the backspace key.

Be sure to type exit before pressing the Home button, or else terminal will still be running (unless you want to leave it open).

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes, but I haven't had any issues other than preferences not saving. That's not a biggie as long as I can change them while MF is loaded (and I can). Hasn't been important enough for me to delve into it any deeper, for the amount of times I use MF (not too much, anymore).

--
Mike

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Be sure to type exit before pressing the Home button, or else terminal will still be running (unless you want to leave it open).
Mike
Good thing I have a little bit of UNIX and LINUX backgroud. I always type exit out of force of habit.