Can I connect Apple TV to TV with RCA cable connections?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Mommy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

I really hope someone can help! I bought Apple tv2, got a wire that does red, white & yellow for my tv to hook up the Apple tv and it does not work! ImageUploadedByiCafe1323208736.926513.jpg
    What can I get to make Apple tv work with these things on the front of my tv. Please help! I'm pulling my hair out! I want Apple tv2 to work. You guys are the best on here, I need all the help I can get.

2. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

Your tv doesn't support HDMI?

3. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

Yeah, you need a TV with an HDMI connection to work with the Apple TV 2.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I remember the first DVD player I bought. Found out you can't go through a VCR. Good excuse to buy a new tv. I just bought a new one because I was out of hdmi connections. The one that was open on my old tv was behind the bracket. So I went and bought a new one.

Go buy a new tv mommy. Join the club.

5. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Lol I got a 63 inch rugby! No way am I buying a new one. This one works perfectly! There is a connection, people have done it. I have googled stuff but not sure what to google to get the right cable for my tv

6. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

I don't think it does, I bought it in 1998

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

13 years old. Eeeek. Time for a new one for sure. HDMI wasn't around when Mac was born.

8. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

LOL! Seriously what can I do? I've got full surround sound hooked up to it, receivers, everything. But no HDMI thing. People keep talking about "cables" to make it work...

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

You can get a 40 inch toshiba HDTV for $389 at Walmart. They aren't that expensive.

10. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Benny your too funny I am not hooking and unhooking my speakers to do Apple tv everytime

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Mommy, I don't have an Appletv2, does it have connections for the RCA cables to plug into it or just hdmi?
    If its just hdmi, you may need a converter like the one listed here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0047PDBP0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pd_cp_e_1

Silly question, but if you can hook it up with the RCA cables, did you change the tv to the correct input source?

Edit: looked at the atv2 and there is only hdmi hookup, so your going to need a converter or a hdmi to RCA type of cable. The picture quality will suffer quite a bit going through converters though.

12. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Scott, yup I tried the input button, cause that's how I do a DVD player.. Didn't work :( thank you for letting me about a cable. I took a pic in the first post about the connections I am limited too lol. Do you know the technological term? Here is the cable I bought that was wrong ImageUploadedByiCafe1323222803.344622.jpg . What do I need? Please

13. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

It might be due to all that digital rights management. The HDMI cable is a two way street from your output to your tv and if the Apple tv isn't detecting the digital handshake from the tv, it might not send out the video signal. Just a thought, I could be wrong.

14. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

that's a good thought, what can I do? Is that the right cable? I'm really lost with all the technological terms for these wires lol

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

check the link on my last post #11
    It's a converter box that is supposed to do the same thing as that cable. Those inputs on your tv are usually referred to as RCA plugs.
    I'm almost thinking your tv might not have the 'umph' to push the signal :( the cable pic you posted looks like it would be the correct kind. HDMI to RCA.

16. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

thank you Scott! I'm going to order it! I hope it works! Just read the reviews, a lot of people use it with atv. You made my day!

17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Hope it works out for you. They may have something like that at a BestBuy or a store like that if you have one local and don't want to wait for a delivery.

18. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

best buy near me didn't have it, but got it from amazon with Friday delivery... Hope it works. I'll let you know. Thanks again Scott!

19. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

HELP! Ok got Apple tv and converter, everything I see is good, Apple tv keeps telling me to hit the right button 3 times and for some reason I keep hitting it and it's not communicating with the Apple tv! HELP! I'm so mad I could throw this out the window!

20. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

All fixed! Wahoooooo! The remote was broken! Returned the system to best buy & Got a new Apple tv and it all works!