Can I delete songs from PC after syncing with iTunes?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

aky

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
As the topic says, i have synced all my songs to my iPhone, can i how delete them off my pc (to save space)

reason i'm asking is because i'm getting a message from iTunes, saying that we cannot sync, files isn't found (or something to that effect)

thanks

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
If you sync all of your songs ... and then you delete them from your computer ... .if you sync again .. your iPhone will have nothing on it ..

the sync goes one way with music ... from iTunes to iPhone

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
stupid question i know, but I'm new to iTunes or just havn't used it enough in a while...how the hell do you delete a song from iTunes? I right click the song in iTunes with no option of deleting it.........I'm wanting to clean it up a bit but dunno how to delete a song, help..Thanks.;)

OniKoroshi

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
stupid question i know, but I'm new to iTunes or just havn't used it enough in a while...how the hell do you delete a song from iTunes? I right click the song in iTunes with no option of deleting it.........I'm wanting to clean it up a bit but dunno how to delete a song, help..Thanks.;)
You want to delete a song from your iPhone you mean right? Delete it from your library then sync the phone again and it'll remove the song.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you put songs in your library then sync the library with your iPhone, you can delete the physical copy on your hard drive and as long as the song is still in your library in iTunes, it will stay on your iPhone.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
You want to delete a song from your iPhone you mean right? Delete it from your library then sync the phone again and it'll remove the song.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you put songs in your library then sync the library with your iPhone, you can delete the physical copy on your hard drive and as long as the song is still in your library in iTunes, it will stay on your iPhone.
if you delete your songs from your hard drive ... They will be gone forever even if they are in your library ... The library doesn't actually store the songs

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
If you want to just delete a song in iTunes ... highlight it and click the del button on your keyboard ... If you want to completely delete it off of your computer, you can right click on it then click "show in explorer" then delete it from the source ... hope this helps

OniKoroshi

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
if you delete your songs from your hard drive ... They will be gone forever even if they are in your library ... The library doesn't actually store the songs
It will still be on your iPhone though. At least that's how it worked with the iPod video I had. I'll test this at home later today.

OniKoroshi

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
I was right, you CAN delete the songs from your hard drive once they are sync'd onto your iPhone, just like with the iPod. You won't be able to play the songs from iTunes (obviously because its gone) and the check mark on the left of the song will be gone but it will remain in your iPhone until you remove it from your library and sync.