Can I downgrade from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3?

mrhuey

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
okay so here is the layout i have iPhone 4 4.3.5 and my wife has jailbroken iPhone 4 4.3.3. We both have our own computers with iTunes.

Now the question is can i restore my phone on her computer somehow and pick up the 4.3.3 software?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thread title edited to clear confusion.

You need to have the devices SHSH's saved for 4.3.3. Has or was your phone jailbroken on 4.3.3? Have you ever saved your devices ECID SHSH files?

mrhuey

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010

You need to have the devices SHSH's saved for 4.3.3. Has or was your phone jailbroken on 4.3.3? Have you ever saved your devices ECID SHSH files?
Am tried to do the whole tiny umbrella thing last night and put my phone into pwned dfu and couldnt get it out. got that restored finally today. do you mean have i ever pressed "save shsh" in tiny umbrella? yes, but nothing shows up under "saved shsh" on general tab.

And I cant remember what firmware i had when i did have it jailbroken. it has not been jailbroken for at least 9 months.

mrhuey

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010

my wifes phone which is currently jailbroken has never had her blobs saved neither but since she is on 4.3.3 right now should i save her blob? And in order to save her blob all i have to do is open tiny umbrella and plug her phone up and press save shsh.

I don't see why there cant be a way to downgrade on her computer with my phone. What would happen if I just plugged my phone in her computer and restored it in iTunes with her back up?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Being able to successfuly downgrade has nothing to do with that. Access to another phone on 4.3.3 or a backup of that phone will not help you. You can't downgrade to 4.3.3 unless you have a 4.3.3 SHSH for your iPhone. You won't be able to start the restore without it. It's too late to save it now (the signing window closed in July), but if you clicked 'make my life easier' in Cydia or used TinyUmbrella in the past, it may have been automatically saved before the deadline.

Change your hosts file so it redirects to Saurik's server and try shift+restoring to 4.3.3. You'll get a 'device not eligible' error if you don't have the SHSH.

mrhuey

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Okay but what if the last time I jailbroke my phone I was on a firmware before 4.3.3. How would I know what firmware is saved. Don't I have to know the firmware saved in order to download that specific firmware from Internet then restore to it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This is one way to check if you are eligible for restore. Anyone can download the firmware. Not everyone will be able to restore to it, though. You'll get an error message when trying to initiate the restore if you don't have the SHSH and a modified host file, which will redirect the signing from Apple to Saurik's server. Since you don't know if you have it, you can check by doing as I suggested or you can just run TinyUmbrella to see which SHSHs you have. If it only lists 4.3.5, downgrading will be impossible.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's nothing more than a security update. Apple stopped allowing downgrades in the summer of 2009. The jailbreak developers found a way to reenable it, but I won't get into the details of that. Suffice it to say you have to be proactive if you want to retain the ability to downgrade. There is no reason not to update if you don't jailbreak. You'll want to avoid updating if you jailbreak because the jailbreak for this firmware is tethered. 4.3.3 has an untethered jailbreak and that's why he wants to downgrade.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Understandable and thanks for the news. Didn't know they stopped that, but then again I've never needed to downgrade, lol. No need for jailbreak once iOS 5 hits. Too much good stuff :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep. Here are a few:

1. The freedom to do things outside the scope of an application and the ability to install apps that were not approved for the App Store for various reasons.
2. Fast access to settings toggles.
3. Full access to the file system.
4. Customization of the appearance of the springboard and lockscreen (theming).
5. Custom gestures and buttons for features, such as a springboard pinch to activate the flashlight and double tapping the status bar to pull up phone favorites.
6. Managing photos and videos on the iPhone (create folders without iTunes).
7. Enhancing stock apps. Add a download manager to Safari and an attachment saver email, install a download feature to YouTube and a pull to refresh Safari tweak, access WiFi only apps, such as FaceTime, on 3G, and add a navigate button to Maps (opens in Navigon or TomTom).
8. Live weather on the lockscreen and springboard.
9. Accelerate animations in the GUI.
10. Add more folder options and improve the task switcher.
11. Enable iOS direct printing (AirPrint) for non-supported printers.
12. Bluetooth file transfer of songs and videos between iDevices.
13. Better text messaging apps. Reply to texts on the lock screen and from within apps.
14. Action Menu customizations. This adds additional functions, such as favorites, dial, and go to bottom of page to the stock cut, copy and paste functionality.
15. Add a user agent faker toggle so you can quickly switch between mobile and full website versions.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Nice list and it all makes sense actually. Quick question though, when you say managing photos and videos on iPhone without using iTunes, are you meaning like browsing the filesystem with iFunbox (or similar)? If so and btw, is it possible to manage the songs without iTunes? The file formats are like WEJR.m4a on the iPhone. It'd be much easier if dropping a mp3 in one of the folders would work :(.

I use the pull to refresh safari and mail. I guess I've never thought about using download feature with YouTube, that'd be pretty cool too.

Any suggestions on the folder options and improve task switcher? And accelerated animations in the GUI? Haha. I use BiteSMS for the apps and I thought that'd be nice to have on iOS 5 too, but I def won't wait for a jailbreak to get it.

What app are you using for #14?

Very very nice list of reasons and I actually agree with most of them :D. Thanks a LOT for that! Giving me many ideas even for my current version.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No, that wasn't what I meant. I use a iFile to access the file system. As far as managing photos, I meant creating new folders for pictures and videos in the Photos app on the phone itself. Without this, you can only create folders in iTunes on the computer and they all stay in the camera roll if you don't.
PwnTunes (manage songs without iTunes)
YourTube (it's still not fully compatible with 4.x, so you have to access the files through iFile)
FolderEnhancer
SwitcherMod (enhance task switcher)
FakeClockUp (speed up GUI animations)
Action Menu

mrhuey

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
This is one way to check if you are eligible for restore. Anyone can download the firmware. Not everyone will be able to restore to it, though. You'll get an error message when trying to initiate the restore if you don't have the SHSH and a modified host file, which will redirect the signing from Apple to Saurik's server. Since you don't know if you have it, you can check by doing as I suggested or you can just run TinyUmbrella to see which SHSHs you have. If it only lists 4.3.5, downgrading will be impossible.
Tiny umbrella doesn't even show 4.3.5 when I go in there. Anyhow regardless of the situation unless you had 4.3.3 on your phone before and saved it, that's the only way to downgrade. So 4.3.5 user can only use tethered or wait for ios5 to be released and jailbreak to come out for it. Next time will be different. When I had my 3GS I always had it jailbroken then I got the 4 and didn't worry about it til now and it's too late.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Tiny umbrella doesn't even show 4.3.5 when I go in there. Anyhow regardless of the situation unless you had 4.3.3 on your phone before and saved it, that's the only way to downgrade. So 4.3.5 user can only use tethered or wait for ios5 to be released and jailbreak to come out for it. Next time will be different. When I had my 3GS I always had it jailbroken then I got the 4 and didn't worry about it til now and it's too late.
Correct, except actually running 4.3.3 at some point in the past is not a prerequisite. You just needed to backup the 4.3.3 SHSH while it's within the signing window. Backing it up at any point while it was the current firmware would have been possible regardless if you were actually running it or not. For example, you could have saved it on July 17th (which was the last day of signing) even if you were running 4.3.1 (0r any other firmware) at the time. I backed up 4.0 with TinyUmbrella (Firmware Umbrella) over a year ago and haven't had to do a thing since. Every firmware version has automatically been saved for me in Cydia since then, including the ones I never bothered updating to.

I'm still on 4.3.1, but I have every 4.x SHSH backed up:

mrhuey

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
You know what I just figured out the problem thesis my second iPhone 4 the first one was jailbroken with saved shsh's but since I had a hardware problem with the last one they replaced it with a new phone. There for that's why nothing pops up in tiny when I plug this phone in. 2 different phones so two different ECID numbers. Wow. So stupid thanks for the time dudes and dudettes.