Can I exchange my iPhone 3G thats under warranty without the SIM?

jdvo

Mar 2, 2009
I bought an iPhone 3g off of CL and used it on tmobile. it works fine and its still under warranty, but it got a few dust particles underneath the glass. Is there anyway to exchange it without an att sim card?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It is going to be very difficult. The issue being that they only recognize AT&T accounts so they are most likely going to make you activate the phone in the store. I would try maybe finding a friend that has an iPhone 3G as well, put their SIM in the phone and then take it in.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
That wouldn't work because the serial # for that phone would not match with the account the SIM is tied too .

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I actually did that for a friend. He was using an iPhone v1 on T-Mobile. I stuck my SIM in and took it back to Apple and after a bit of a runaround they replaced it.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Wow -whenever i've exchanged one they practically cat scan it ;-)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/think-i-found-my-first-fully-bricked-iphone-v1.37184/

long story short and to answer your question, you have to have A sim in it for an iPhone. doesn't have to be registered to the serial number or anything like that. if they ask you to activate it or anything like that in the store just tell them you have a discount through AT&T and they won't be able to do it there (Apple doesn't have access to AT&T's discounts and **** like that).

Last edited by a moderator:

jdvo

Mar 2, 2009
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/think-i-found-my-first-fully-bricked-iphone-v1.37184/

long story short and to answer your question, you have to have A sim in it for an iPhone. doesn't have to be registered to the serial number or anything like that. if they ask you to activate it or anything like that in the store just tell them you have a discount through AT&T and they won't be able to do it there (Apple doesn't have access to AT&T's discounts and **** like that).

does the sim card have to be from a 3g iPhone? and does the sim have to have a data plan on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
does the sim card have to be from a 3g iPhone? and does the sim have to have a data plan on it?
He just said that Apple has no access to AT&T accounts. It just has to be the AT&T 3G sim card.
Otherwise, if they pop out the sim and it says T-Mobile, I guarantee you that they would hand the phone back and tell you that your warranty is void.

jdvo

Mar 2, 2009
He just said that Apple has no access to AT&T accounts. It just has to be the AT&T 3G sim card.
Otherwise, if they pop out the sim and it says T-Mobile, I guarantee you that they would hand the phone back and tell you that your warranty is void.

so i cant just use my friends normal att card?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
so i cant just use my friends normal att card?
It should be the blue 3G card with the orange flame on it, but yes, if it looks like that then you should be fine.