Can I get business email access without IT approval?

Trink677

Jan 31, 2009
My employer approves only Blackberry on the network so iPhones are not allowed. However, the Blackberry Curve model is not approved either, yet colleuages were able to access Outlook on their own without IT knowing.

Is it at all possible for me to connect to outlook or do I have to settle for logging into webmail via safari? :( I've tried following the direction to sync with exchange server but my work server doesn't respond, or SSL can't be established. I've been searching web forums but many of the suggestions are for those who have access to firewalls, exchange manager, etc. Many thanks . . . .

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
I believe they need to have OMA (Outlook mobile access, or ActiveSync) enabled via Webmail.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
do you mean like setting it up as IMAP? because i was able to do it like that with my work email without going through the exchange stuff...

Trink677

Jan 31, 2009
I'll take whatever access I can get but even when I try the IMAP and POP options it doesn't work. I'm thinking I'm not inputting the correct information perhaps . . .for incoming mail server and outgoing - is it exactly like the example provided on the phone? Incoming is (mail.domain.com) and outgoing is (smtp.domain.com). I enter my user name and password for outlook.

The first error tells me it cannot connect using SSL do I want to set up with SSL. I select Yes and it says the IMAP server is not responding check that I entered the correct info in the incoming server field.

cyan

Feb 1, 2009
Yes, you can connect to your Exchange email if your employer has OWA (web access) installed. Can you get your email on the web with an Outlook interface? If so, yep - no problem on your iPhone.

Just setup as an email and choose Exchange. When you put in a server, list the web addy you go to to get your email (mail.domain.com). You do not need to put in a domain. Then just put in your username and password in and it'll verify and connect. It's that easy.

I work in our IT department and my employer also will not allow BB or iPhone push off the Exchange server. This is an excellent way around their rules. :cool:

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
try exchange like others have listed above and try with with and without SSL. Also don't input the optional domain.

jetflyer

Mar 5, 2008
im paying 30 bucks now for the regular data plan, by setting up my company email through Exchange, will i get charged the $45 monthly?

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
You're welcome...and by the way, why not formally thank me by hitting the "Thanks" button under that message? :eek:

Back to the topic at-hand...I'm a corporate Exchange user and pay the $30. So while AT&T says it's required, it is difficult to monitor and enforce.

XanderLee

Nov 8, 2007
Awww I was really hoping this would work for me :(

Back to square one.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I'll take whatever access I can get but even when I try the IMAP and POP options it doesn't work. I'm thinking I'm not inputting the correct information perhaps . . .for incoming mail server and outgoing - is it exactly like the example provided on the phone? Incoming is (mail.domain.com) and outgoing is (smtp.domain.com). I enter my user name and password for outlook.

The first error tells me it cannot connect using SSL do I want to set up with SSL. I select Yes and it says the IMAP server is not responding check that I entered the correct info in the incoming server field.
mail.domain and smtp.domain are the ones im using. have you tried connecting without the SSL? i think thats what i did on mine.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
In theory you should be able to but there are some "if's". If your company has Exchange, POP or IMAP enabled, and you know the server addresses and you know your login and password information there is nothing to stop your phone from connecting and retreiving your email. I have my work email setup on my phone in addition to two personal email addresses. One of the problems that you may encounter is that your email server may be on the wrong side of a firewall. I actually have to have two email accounts for work on my phone. One for local which is on the inside of the firewall and one setup for external which is on the outside of the firewall. If I'm on wifi inside the office only the local address will work and I use Exchange. If I'm on 3G or outside the office then only the IMAP client will work. Is there someone in the IT department that you are friends with that you might get some of the address information from? Also, as far as the SSL error goes, it is common and I got it too. I just clicked past it and my account works fine. As I recall, there is a problem with the Exchange SSL client with the iPhone.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Yes, you can connect to your Exchange email if your employer has OWA (web access) installed. Can you get your email on the web with an Outlook interface? If so, yep - no problem on your iPhone.

Just setup as an email and choose Exchange. When you put in a server, list the web addy you go to to get your email (mail.domain.com). You do not need to put in a domain. Then just put in your username and password in and it'll verify and connect. It's that easy.

I work in our IT department and my employer also will not allow BB or iPhone push off the Exchange server. This is an excellent way around their rules. :cool:
That depends. At my job, if you're not set up with the correct permissions, the setup will fail. Bottom line: you can try, but there's no guarantee it will work.

You're welcome...and by the way, why not formally thank me by hitting the "Thanks" button under that message? :eek:

Back to the topic at-hand...I'm a corporate Exchange user and pay the $30. So while AT&T says it's required, it is difficult to monitor and enforce.
He can't. You need 25 posts or more to thank, with a 5 thanks per 24 hour period. Are you that insecure about your thank count that you have to ask?! :p

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I just can't get this to work.... I put in my work email addy, myname@thetowniworkfor.us, I enter the server, webmail.thetowniworkfor.us, enter my user name and password and it says that exchange has verified everything. But when I go to my mailbox, it either says I can't connect or just endlessly searches for mail....

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I just can't get this to work.... I put in my work email addy, myname@thetowniworkfor.us, I enter the server, webmail.thetowniworkfor.us, enter my user name and password and it says that exchange has verified everything. But when I go to my mailbox, it either says I can't connect or just endlessly searches for mail....
I believe you can get it to work. Been there, done that on everything you have tried and was Finally successful. I know I read that someone else mentioned you probably could if you had OWA. Do you, and does the web address have "remotemail" in it? If so, you need to use the word remotemail instead of webmail. Other wise, you just need to use every possible variation on you username and or domain name until you finally hit it.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Go to any desktop browser and for the address/URL, enter:

http://mail.thetowniworkfor.us

or

https://mail.thetowniworkfor.us

(of course, replacing thetowniworkfor.us with your company's domain)

This will verify if your company 1) has OWA enabled for your use, and 2) if you are eligible to use OWA (if you can successfuly log in)

Please note, however, just because your company exposes your email through an extranet (e.g. OWA), doesn't mean that they have Exchange ActiveSync turned on (for over-the-air sync'ing on your iPhone or Windows Mobile device).

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Go to any desktop browser and for the address/URL, enter:

http://mail.thetowniworkfor.us

or

https://mail.thetowniworkfor.us

(of course, replacing thetowniworkfor.us with your company's domain)

This will verify if your company 1) has OWA enabled for your use, and 2) if you are eligible to use OWA (if you can successfuly log in)

Please note, however, just because your company exposes your email through an extranet (e.g. OWA), doesn't mean that they have Exchange ActiveSync turned on (for over-the-air sync'ing on your iPhone or Windows Mobile device).
I think you're right. It verifies everything, but won't sync to the mailbox... oh well, Thanks for all the help!