Can i get custom SMS tones?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mach1mustang_101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Is there anyway to make the phone make a sound other then the originall sound it usually makes? Like on my razor i could have it play a song when i got a text. can i do this?

lymn

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Is there anyway to make the phone make a sound other then the originall sound it usually makes? Like on my razor i could have it play a song when i got a text. can i do this?

Yes, I have a nice French lady (thanks to AT&T Researches Text 2 Speech) that tells me when I get email, text, voicemail messages.

Text Message Sound:
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ReceivedMessage.caf

Email Sound:
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/new-mail.caf

Voice Mail Sound:
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/Voicemail.caf

(.caf files are just .aiff files that have their extensions changed.)

lymn

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
so what exactly do i have to do? do i have to do that jail break thing or what? where is a guide that wil show me this
At work, don't have time to search through tutorials for you at the moment, but yes you need to jailbreak Best idea is probably to find the SSH tutorial (which will jailbreak and install SSH, which you will probably want later.)

SiLeNtKiLLa

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta
Yes, I have a nice French lady (thanks to AT&T Researches Text 2 Speech) that tells me when I get email, text, voicemail messages.

Text Message Sound:
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ReceivedMessage.caf

Email Sound:
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/new-mail.caf

Voice Mail Sound:
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/Voicemail.caf

(.caf files are just .aiff files that have their extensions changed.)
Mind sharing your tones?

kaka321

May 23, 2009
is there a way to get custom sms tones without jail breaking my iPhone

i was just wondering because im not the most computer smart person so i don't wan2 jail break my phone. but is there a way that i can get custome sms tones without jailbreaking my phone? i was able to find something on utube 4 the ring tones but not sms

aaldance

May 27, 2009
Huntington Beach
Hello! I have been searching Google and Youtube and for some reason, can not find the folder to break into these paths. I am running Windows. My phone is jailbroken and my ".caf" tones are made. All that needs to be done is to replace the existing files, which I cannot find. Help!? :)

paradux

Jan 30, 2010
Hello! I have been searching Google and Youtube and for some reason, can not find the folder to break into these paths. I am running Windows. My phone is jailbroken and my ".caf" tones are made. All that needs to be done is to replace the existing files, which I cannot find. Help!? :)
i found that the easiest way is to get iPhone browser and yuo will see the entire directory, just follow the path?
im not sure if you need to or not (i only jailbroke my phone yesterday lol) but have you changed your root password?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'd just buy ToneFX. Makes changing any tone a joke without having to deal with SSH and manually doing it. I believe it's $4.99 in Cydia and I highly recommend it. I use it because I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of installing SSH and copying stuff over. Plus ToneFX takes care of the conversion for you, you just give it a wav, mp3 or other audio format.

TBL

Bronze
Dec 8, 2009
Tampa, FL
i found that the easiest way is to get iPhone browser and yuo will see the entire directory, just follow the path?
im not sure if you need to or not (i only jailbroke my phone yesterday lol) but have you changed your root password?
Doubt you'll get an answer, last activity was last June.

simba33

Silver
Oct 21, 2009
Kingsburg CA
www.ebwebcreations.com
**this is for any EIC members wo stumble across this and have the same problem, im bored off my a** at work right now. plus i was a dumba** and didn't see the user i replied to was last active in 2009**
go into cydia, download afc2add, then on your computer search iPhonebrowser download (yes iPhonebrowser is one word) then install and run iPhone browser and plug in you iPhone. then go to directory system>library/audio/UIsounds then in there you will find sms-received_.caf the underscore is a number 1-6 listed in order of how they are in your sound settings. I.E. if you don't like the glass ringtone and want to replace it with yours then replace sms-received4.caf and then respring/reboot. after that go to settings/sounds/ New Text Message and tap the glass ringtone (or whatever ringtone you decided to replace) and now it will play your new ringtone when you get a text message

grkprncezz

Dec 23, 2008
i'm using iPhone explorer for mac and i cannot navigate to the UISounds folder....i did it before and don't know why i can't now. if anyone can help that would be great!

Jan 1, 2010
Can't do anything with SMS tones with out jailbreaking. Stuck with the default tones.
That is just STUPID! Hasn't anyone made an app. for that yet? I just heard that as of April 2010 there are over 180,000 apps available for the iPhone 3G/S
Why would Apple let us use custom ring tones for the phone but not for anything else?
I am writing Apple right now to tell them that there programers are retards!