Can I have all your opinions on this please?

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
I just got my first iPhone (2g) and i LOVE it. I have a barley used blackberry bold that i could sell to get the iPhone 3g. But, i don't see THAT much difference between them. i LOVE how the iPhone 2g has an aluminum case as to the plastic case...

In your opinions (for those who have owned both) why should i upgrade? I cannot get 3g in my area aslo....just and fyi on that. am i going to see that much difference in speed (as far as running apps and such)?

im torn.,...and so many people want to upgrade jsut to have the best of the best..i want to know if it is worth it for me..

thanks in advance...
D

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
If you like the aluminum and can't get 3G then I say stick with the 2g. I think the 2g and 3g are same processor and RAM. One difference is you could conceivably get more space (16GB vs 8GB). There are some features on the latest update that won't work on the v1. What about GPS? Do you like it/need it?

My other concern is how old is the 2g/battery? If it's fairly old then I'd be thinking about another unit in the near future.

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
hey, thanks for the reply.

The phone is about 2 years old. i can go all day with the phone, texting, internet app world etc and not need to charge it and have about 25% left at the end of the day.

Gps is nice, (i had it on my bold) but i don't need it. I thought that the 3g ran apps faster? is that a myth? the reason i ask about upgrading, is because i could sell this iPhone with my unlocked bold and have more then enough for a 3g...i woudl love to get the 3gs but too much money. (im on tmobile so i have to buy one to unlock and jailbreak it)

TheSuperPickle

Bronze
Dec 30, 2008
Idaho
Well, sounds like just sticking with the 2G would be best if you are not having any problems.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you like the aluminum and can't get 3G then I say stick with the 2g. I think the 2g and 3g are same processor and RAM. One difference is you could conceivably get more space (16GB vs 8GB). There are some features on the latest update that won't work on the v1. What about GPS? Do you like it/need it?

My other concern is how old is the 2g/battery? If it's fairly old then I'd be thinking about another unit in the near future.
I'm pretty sure the 3G has a faster processor. My 3G runs the same games/apps faster than my friend's v1.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Are you talking about a 3G or 3Gs? I would not upgrade to a 3G (I never did) but I just upgraded to a 3gs and it’s a world if difference.

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
In your opinions (for those who have owned both) why should i upgrade? I cannot get 3g in my area aslo....just and fyi on that. am i going to see that much difference in speed (as far as running apps and such)?
Improvements from 1st gen to 3g:
3g network
GPS
more storage

(not worth it in my opinion)

Improvements from 1st gen to 3gs:
3g network
GPS
more storage
compass
twice the system memory
faster processor
longer battery life
improved camera
video recording
voice control
oil-free coating on the glass

I say go for it, if you can afford it! ;)

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
great info guys, i am sure in a few months the price will drop and i will bet able to sell my 2g, and BOLD to pay for the 3gs...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
great info guys, i am sure in a few months the price will drop and i will bet able to sell my 2g, and BOLD to pay for the 3gs...
I don't think it's going to drop anytime soon. I'm guessing Apple will drop the price about a month before the next one is released (to clear inventory), sometime around May 2010, just like they did with the 3G.