Can I have itunes on two computers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Denver Mike, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Denver Mike

Denver Mike New Member

I am at my parents house for Thanksgiving and I just got my iphone a few days ago. In another post I explain that I am having a lot of problems with charging my iphone. I was going to goof around with a restore in itunes but like I said, I am out of town.

Can I have itunes on two computers or will that mess with authorzing my devices, computers, account?

Sorry folks, I'm a bit ball of mess right now with my beloved new toy not working, traveling, big family dinners, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I have already tried the reset and the holding down HOME and Power but my phone just won't charge.
  2. Swagger

Swagger New Member

Yes you can sync it to two different iTunes. What will happen is this whatever content you had (on iPhone) when sync'd on computer A will be erased and replaced with whatever content is on computer B and vise versa. It will not damage anything though. Mark

Just to make it a little more clear. Content on (iPod or iPhone) can only be sync'd to one library at a time. You can sync it to twenty different computers but it will always erase the content from the previous sync. All you have to do when wanting your original content back from computer A is sync back with computer A and you will be right back where you started.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Swagger

Swagger New Member

You can try restoring your iPhone through iTunes to set if it will charge. If that doesn't work it's defective take it back. Your cable could be bad also try another USB cord and charger if you have one. Mark
  5. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member

Best thing to do is what I did...this may take some time but, if you don't have an iTunes library of music/videos etc. setup yet, this may go ALOT quicker.

Ok...to sync to 2 different computers, you have to make sure they both have the same content on them. That means any pictures you want to sync to your phone as well as music, contacts etc.

When you're sure this is the case, go ahead and sync up.

NOW here's option 2....if you want to sync JUST your contacts, or music or photos etc...choose the option you want, and uncheck the ones you don't.

Then sync. If it asks you about your contacts...meaning you have an option to replace OR merge them, chances are its better to merge vs. replace.

I found out the hard way that when you click replace the contacts in iTunes, kiss all your phone #s goodbye
  6. joaquin654

joaquin654 New Member

this is what i did ...

I wanted to sync with 2 computers since I have a computer at my home and at my parents ( I spend alot of time there , mostly eating ! ). So I backed up my iTunes library onto 6 DVD's and loaded both computers with the same 20 Gigs of music , videos , contacts , etc. and now when I sync with both computers I get the same results. Hopes that gives you another option. BTW : I authorized both computers with iTunes so I wouldn't have any issues.
    :laugh2:
  7. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius

Remind me, aren't there 5 computer authorizations in each iTunes Store accounts?
  8. Swagger

Swagger New Member

Yes there are...
  9. dturner

dturner Zealot

Yes there are.
  10. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius

Cool, I just realized I have 2 authorizations left :D.