Can I hustle my 3GS this way?

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Okay I bought the 3gs for 600 on the first day since I wasn't eligible until sept. Can I unlock this beast, flip it on the bay for like 800 then buy the iPhone for $200 since I'm now eligible for an upgrade? Does this work fellow hustlers or is there some bs restriction in place?

Teazer

Aug 19, 2009
People pay extra for unlocked phones? Seems really simple to unlock but if u get more money out of it, then i'll do that when it comes time to sell!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I imagine that since you say you weren't eligible until September, that you should now be eligible for the discounted upgrade pricing. I'm not sure how much the phones are going for on eBay but theoretically you could do this.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Okay I bought the 3gs for 600 on the first day since I wasn't eligible until sept. Can I unlock this beast, flip it on the bay for like 800 then buy the iPhone for $200 since I'm now eligible for an upgrade? Does this work fellow hustlers or is there some bs restriction in place?
So you got a contract free iPhone 3GS in June? Otherwise, you would have been eligible for middle tier pricing ($400/500) back in June, not no contract ($600/700) pricing. I wasn't eligible for upgrade until March 2010, so I got my 32 GB 3GS for $499 in June. If the one you bought in June was contract free and you are now eligible for full subsidization, you should be able to buy a new one for $200/$300 and sell the old one. I'm not sure how much they are going for, but I'd be surprised if it was more than $700.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
800 would be hard to do but 700 maybe. Its used now so it might be a little harder but you can for sure sell it.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
IF you sell it on ebay be careful. Phishers mayl contact you and try to get info out of you by promising to buy your phone if you end the auction for them and give them your paypal e-mail address. Don't fall for it. Be careful.

I sold two iPhone 3G's on ebay last month and got $898 for them. It was nice once I weeded out the phishers. I thought they could have been legit buyers until they kept asking for my paypal e-mail and asking me to end the auction. I didn't end the aucitons and I never gave them my info, but they were so annoying.

Be careful no matter where you sell it. Good Luck!

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Curious, did you bother to check your math on that ;)

You HAVE to sell it for 800 to break even, and that doesn't include fees. So, if you sold it for 800 even on eBay, after fees you'd lose money. Doesn't really make sense to me to go through all that hassle to end up where you started.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
The money has already been lost. They are trying to recover it now. Right now they have an iPhone 3GS, and 0 dollars. If they were to sell the 3GS on Ebay for $800 they would have no 3GS and $800 dollars. Now with that $800 they would use a $200 portion of it to buy a new 3GS and renew an AT&T contract. In the end we end up with a shiny brand new 3GS and $600 dollars. So now take any fees from that $600 dollars and whatever is left is the cash he could be saving with Geico, which to me would be worth the effort.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
When the OP said "hustle" I took it as I want to make some coin on this deal. The math geek in me looks at it like an equation, not in the grand scheme of things from a personal bank account stand point.

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
The math works. Even if I sold it for what I paid for it, I'd still have a new phone plus 400 bucks or so. So it's like a rebate or the equivalent of short selling a stock. Makes sense and pretty easy to do. Factor in the extra 200 value for it being jailbroken and it's a free iPhone at non-subsidized price. Word.

kentuckyiphone

Aug 13, 2009
I don't think you will be able to do it just yet as of yesterday when Apple stopped signing certificates for your ibss and ibec files. No jailbreak packages yet from the dev team for 3.1...patiently waiting. Sounds like you didn't jailbreak it yet and cydia was storing the ecid file for you if you were already jailbroken. Saurik and the jailbreak teams are working on a fix to use that information stored to create a jailbreak package. If you didn't get those files off your phone by doing a restore to an older firmware, I am afraid it is impossible if you have a 3gs because you MUST update to 3.1 in iTunes now as they are not signing older firmwares. You no longer can point to a 3.0 or 3.0.1 to restore from unfortunately. So you must wait, and to be safe I would not update to 3.1 until dev team says its cool to. Also people are disagreeing on this but some say if you didn't grab the ibec and ibss files during a 3.0 firmware restore then you are screwed for jailbreaking in the future. I don't think that is true....as long as you don't upgrade to 3.1, which if you do without those files on the 3gs...you are screwed for the time being...maybe forever. At least your bandline fw gets updated and you loose the ability to unlock after (if) a jailbreak alternative is found without the ibec and ibss files.

Sorry to throw a kink in your unlocking plans but I thought I would point that out to you. You might have to wait a bit for them to sort out a solution, now that Apple cut the downgrading option out. However, I guess you could always just run redsnow now and point to a 3.0 fw package and be cool, just make sure you do it right and don't have to restore...then you are screwed for the time being. :)

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
You know what... I just checked my plan to see if i'm eligible and since I bought my iPhone 3gs for full price the day it came out, i'm now not eligible until 2011 for a discounted price. It was 2009 before I bought the 3gs at full price. Unbelievable... so I don't even get a chance to get a discounted price despite being a loyal customer and paying full price. Anyone else notice this?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You'll be eligible for a partial subsidization when the next one is released. Instead of paying $200/$300, you'll pay $400/$500, but that's better than no subsidization at all, which is $600/$700 (the actual value).

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
You'll be eligible for a partial subsidization when the next one is released. Instead of paying $200/$300, you'll pay $400/$500, but that's better than no subsidization at all, which is $600/$700 (the actual value).
Sucks though. So because I'm an early adopter of the newest products, I don't get the benefits that others get. My subsidized price eligibility shouldn't just reset like that. All it does is piss people off and make them feel like they're getting screwed. Plus I was never initially told that my eligibility would reset. My eligibility should "roll over" with my new contract and full price that I paid.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Sucks though. So because I'm an early adopter of the newest products, I don't get the benefits that others get. My subsidized price eligibility shouldn't just reset like that. All it does is piss people off and make them feel like they're getting screwed. Plus I was never initially told that my eligibility would reset. My eligibility should "roll over" with my new contract and full price that I paid.
I would definitely call up AT&T and question that. There are two reasons you would pay full price on a handset. First, being that you aren't eligible for the "new contract" price. The second, because you don't want to extend your contract but still want the new equipment.

Did you have an iPhone prior to buying the 3GS? My guess is that because you had to swap to the "iPhone rate plan" they took the liberty of extending your contract for you. I'd call up and see what the deal is.

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I would definitely call up AT&T and question that. There are two reasons you would pay full price on a handset. First, being that you aren't eligible for the "new contract" price. The second, because you don't want to extend your contract but still want the new equipment.

Did you have an iPhone prior to buying the 3GS? My guess is that because you had to swap to the "iPhone rate plan" they took the liberty of extending your contract for you. I'd call up and see what the deal is.
I've had every single iPhone, so yes I had a 3g prior to the 3GS.

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
600 dollars for a phone just cause you couldnt wait until september !?

no wonder Apple is so happy...