Can I keep my old voice plan when I get a new 3G?

Jul 14, 2008
I have an old 1000 minute plan (for $39.99/mo), that I want to keep.
AT&T customer service says yes I can, but only if I get my iPhone at a corporate store.

Reps at corporate store say they have no way to make that happen in the store, there is no option in the activation process for them to do that.

Anyone have real life experience from the 3g launch of keeping their old (and no longer available) calling plan?

I've been through enough B.S. with AT&T to know i may be chasing a brass ring (that's why I switched to Cingular, only to have them buy/merge with AT&T and now it seems like the same old, same old) and if that's the case, I'll just suck it up and go to the Apple store now.

Thanks!

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Discounted plans = buy the phone at AT&T. That's what the word has been for a while.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
I purchased my 3G iPhone at an AT&T store. They let me keep my old plan (1500min for $49.99).
No problemo.

topspin

Oct 12, 2007
I'm pretty sure unlimited data will run you $30, I had a prepaid with unlimited data on V1 for $50 mo and they wouldn't let me keep it.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
I would go to the Apple Store, since they don't change your voice plan.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
shouldn't be a problem, you will still have to add a data plan though. And from what I understand, with the 3g data plan, it doesn't include txt messages.

Jul 14, 2008
I purchased my 3G iPhone at an AT&T store. They let me keep my old plan (1500min for $49.99).
No problemo.
SkyyBoy was your plan already a "3G" calling plan? If not, then I'm really getting yanked around by AT&T.

This morning AT&T Customer Service told me that the prior rep was wrong (the one that told me - and noted in my file - that I could keep my existing calling plan), and that I need to switch to one of their "new" National 3G and that I could only keep (at best) half of my 6000+ rollover minutes.

I don't understand why dealing with AT&T has to be so difficult.

Any other ideas, cause I really want/need to keep my existing calling plan?

Jul 14, 2008
Any other ideas or personal experiences, cause I really want/need to keep my existing calling plan?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I would go to the Apple Store, since they don't change your voice plan.
Wrong. Don't go to the Apple store. They won't sell you the 3g if you have an old plan or if you get a discount.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
SkyyBoy was your plan already a "3G" calling plan? If not, then I'm really getting yanked around by AT&T.

This morning AT&T Customer Service told me that the prior rep was wrong (the one that told me - and noted in my file - that I could keep my existing calling plan), and that I need to switch to one of their "new" National 3G and that I could only keep (at best) half of my 6000+ rollover minutes.

I don't understand why dealing with AT&T has to be so difficult.

Any other ideas, cause I really want/need to keep my existing calling plan?
Wow. AT&T is really screwed up. I got different answers every time I called. First they tell me, yes I can keep my old plan. I call on another occasion and they tell me, no. I called again yesterday and they said no again.. I said why? They put me on hold and talked to a supervisor. Then I was told, "Yes, you can keep your old plan if you go to an AT&T store and just add the 3g data plan."

They are the most unprofessional businesss, I tell ya. That's why I'm so over trying to get the 3g and I'm sticking to my v1 iPhone with my 10 year old talk plan ($26.99 a month).

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I had an outdated plan going into the 3G launch that my family had for years. They made me change to a more expensive plan, that included less minutes. I had also accumulated 4,000 rollover minutes, and AT&T said I could only keep 700. Hope this helps.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Any other ideas or personal experiences, cause I really want/need to keep my existing calling plan?
Be like me, don't get the 3G. Save yourself the headache. And save your old talk plan. Don't let them take that away from you! You're grandfathered in to that plan. They're just waiting for you to make one wrong move so they can pounce on you and take that plan away from you. Don't let that happen!

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I had an outdated plan going into the 3G launch that my family had for years. They made me change to a more expensive plan, that included less minutes. I had also accumulated 4,000 rollover minutes, and AT&T said I could only keep 700. Hope this helps.
AT&T got you. NOooooooo!

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I had waited first in line for 8 hours, and wasn't about to walk away iPhoneless.

;)
Whyyyyyyy!? You're losing money in the long run! It pains me to see you lose your plan just for this phone. And I'm really pissed that Apple or AT&T didn't make this clear for people waiting in line. Foul play.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii

my plan was before they even announced their 3G network. t-mobile offered a special in my area (1500 minutes for $49.99) & AT&T matched it for a while. this was in 2004 (i think).

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Whyyyyyyy!? You're losing money in the long run! It pains me to see you lose your plan just for this phone. And I'm really pissed that Apple or AT&T didn't make this clear for people waiting in line. Foul play.
Main reason (and selfish, at that): I don't pay the bill.

Oh and also, we had $20.00 unlimited text on 2 lines, and they added family unlimited text, so I'm pretty sure we almost broke even.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Anyone who tells you to go to Apple doesn't have a clue and shouldn't be telling you what everyone already knows.

You have to go to AT&T if you have any businesss or discount plan. But go and fight for your plan. You should be able to retain it.

Jul 14, 2008
Anyone who tells you to go to Apple doesn't have a clue and shouldn't be telling you what everyone already knows.

You have to go to AT&T if you have any businesss or discount plan. But go and fight for your plan. You should be able to retain it.
I think this boils down to what the particular rep you are dealing with knows how to do and what they feel like doing. Yesterday I went to an AT&T corporate store (out of stock of course) and the rep there told me 'no problem' you can keep your calling and at the Apple store (where they had already closed the line for the day) but a rep there also said not a problem, we extend your contract but you can keep your existing plan so long as AT&T approves your upgrade eligibility.

So I'm going to try the Apple store when I have a couple of hours to kill and will post my results.

Nogard13

Jul 17, 2008
I purchased at an Apple store. The only difference on my bill (as far as I could see) was a $30 unlimited data plan and a $5 text message charge. My plan stayed the same, including my 7pm-7am for nights and weekends, instead of the 9pm-6am that it is normally.