Can I mod a second phone like this?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
My phone is stock.. I am wondering... if i buy a used iPhone.. can I unlock it without hooking it up to iTunes and messing with my current phone? If yes, what is the best way to do it? I don't wanna mess up a good phone!

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
My phone is stock.. I am wondering... if i buy a used iPhone.. can I unlock it without hooking it up to iTunes and messing with my current phone? If yes, what is the best way to do it? I don't wanna mess up a good phone!
I'm not completely sure about my answer, so do not go forward without anyone elses opinion. I do not know how it works with having more then one phone attached to a computer. But for jailbreaking and unlocking your phone, you do not need iTunes. So it is possible that you could jailbreak and unlock and then mess with it. But unless you have another service provider or another AT&T account whats the purpose? UNless you could have 2 phones on the same account, but i don't think that is possibe. If you wanna mess around, i'd get a used ipod touch, you could jailbreak that and do all the jailbreak stuff you'd do on the iPhone and be able to connect it to the computer no problem.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
if you use a second iPhone in iTunes iTunes will create a separate profile for so the two iPhones will have nothing to do with each other. you can do anything everything to the one and the other will be perfectly fine and completely unaffected. to comment on imans post with using 2 iPhones on the same account you can just switch your sim cards out.

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
I'm not completely sure about my answer, so do not go forward without anyone elses opinion. I do not know how it works with having more then one phone attached to a computer. But for jailbreaking and unlocking your phone, you do not need iTunes. So it is possible that you could jailbreak and unlock and then mess with it. But unless you have another service provider or another AT&T account whats the purpose? UNless you could have 2 phones on the same account, but i don't think that is possibe. If you wanna mess around, i'd get a used ipod touch, you could jailbreak that and do all the jailbreak stuff you'd do on the iPhone and be able to connect it to the computer no problem.
I'd like to get one working with maybe tmobile or something.. just so I know it works.. then I could take that phone with me to Russia and use a sim from there... and not risk my home phone! ;-)

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
that would work with out a hitch. your other iPhone will be fine.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
yeah sounds like a good plan, btw its Lman :)

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
sorry bout that lman
don't worry about it, everyone is making that mistake. trying to get it changed, but chris hasn't responded.