Can I purchase iPhone outright and use with my existing non-smartphone plan?

mlabate

Feb 28, 2008
...seem to get mixed results.

I have an AT&T account now and I don't want to extend my contract. Is there anyway I can buy a iPhone and use it with my current plan (media net/ unlimited messaging) without signing up for two years?

Is this in anyway possible?

Thanks a lot

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
...seem to get mixed results.

I have an AT&T account now and I don't want to extend my contract. Is there anyway I can buy a iPhone and use it with my current plan (media net/ unlimited messaging) without signing up for two years?

Is this in anyway possible?

Thanks a lot
nope. activation of any iPhone requires a renewal of a 2 year plan.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You can keep your current phone plan as far as min., but will still need the $20 data plan and a new 2yr. contract.

mlabate

Feb 28, 2008
You can keep your current phone plan as far as min., but will still need the $20 data plan and a new 2yr. contract.
Looks like no iPhone for me then.

Thanks for the information!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The $20/month is worth every penny. Everyone has to manage their own finances, but I would much rather cut out one happy hour of drinks/month than miss out on a month's worth of iPhone usage.

mlabate

Feb 28, 2008
The $20/month is worth every penny. Everyone has to manage their own finances, but I would much rather cut out one happy hour of drinks/month than miss out on a month's worth of iPhone usage.
I just don't want to extend my contract. I like switching phones a lot and I don't want to be tied to anything, I try about 20+ phones a year and I like not having to do anything special for them, just buy the phone and pop in the sim and mess with internet/mms settings, done.

This has nothing to do with money, I don't even pay for my plan, its a company plan so the data would be $45 and I wouldn't pay for it, its just about the contract, I don't want to have to extend the contract if I don't have to.

Could I but the iPhone and still use the iPhone sim with other phones and switch like that?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I just don't want to extend my contract. I like switching phones a lot and I don't want to be tied to anything, I try about 20+ phones a year and I like not having to do anything special for them, just buy the phone and pop in the sim and mess with internet/mms settings, done.

This has nothing to do with money, I don't even pay for my plan, its a company plan so the data would be $45 and I wouldn't pay for it, its just about the contract, I don't want to have to extend the contract if I don't have to.

Could I but the iPhone and still use the iPhone sim with other phones and switch like that?
I understand.

mlabate

Feb 28, 2008
20+? Wow you might have a problem, haha...
Yeah, its a hobby of mine. I like cell phones.

So do people who buy the iPhone and unlock it for t-mobile have to activate for 2 years? Why can't I just do what they are doing and unlock it and use it?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah, its a hobby of mine. I like cell phones.

So do people who buy the iPhone and unlock it for t-mobile have to activate for 2 years? Why can't I just do what they are doing and unlock it and use it?
Do you have a T-Mobile sim card? If you don't they're going to ask for a one year or two year commitment before they give you one.

Plus when you unlock it, you'll void the warranty on the phone. It's completely up to you. Many people use it on T-Mobile with a T-Mo sim card, but they've also got t-Mobile contracts.

mlabate

Feb 28, 2008
Do you have a T-Mobile sim card? If you don't they're going to ask for a one year or two year commitment before they give you one.

Plus when you unlock it, you'll void the warranty on the phone. It's completely up to you. Many people use it on T-Mobile with a T-Mo sim card, but they've also got t-Mobile contracts.
Can't I just buy a T-mobile sim card from eBay for it to work?

Also, I just downloaded ZiPhone and it has these options plus some more:

Do it all: This button will jailbreak and activate your phone but leave the baseband and SIM-lock untouched if it's not already unlocked.

Don't Unlock:This button will jailbreak and activate your phone but leave the baseband and SIM-lock untouched if it's not already unlocked.

Advanced Options:
Activate: This option will bypass the activation system on the phone. If your phone is unactivated, it will just show a "slide for emergency" screen which you can't get passed unless you sign up for an expensive 2 year celluar plan from AT&T/T-Mobile etc.

Unlike normal activation in iTunes, this activation will be permanent - you won't need to activate again when changing SIM-cards.

Wouldn't any of those solve my problem? Or I am reading them wrong?

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
There's gotta be some way you can do this. I just don't know it...good luck

mlabate

Feb 28, 2008
There's gotta be some way you can do this. I just don't know it...good luck
Haha, I live 20 minutes from Bethlehem, Pa

Oh, and to answer your question from before, I have AT&T

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Can't I just buy a T-mobile sim card from eBay for it to work?

Also, I just downloaded ZiPhone and it has these options plus some more:

Do it all: This button will jailbreak and activate your phone but leave the baseband and SIM-lock untouched if it's not already unlocked.

Don't Unlock:This button will jailbreak and activate your phone but leave the baseband and SIM-lock untouched if it's not already unlocked.

Advanced Options:
Activate: This option will bypass the activation system on the phone. If your phone is unactivated, it will just show a "slide for emergency" screen which you can't get passed unless you sign up for an expensive 2 year celluar plan from AT&T/T-Mobile etc.

Unlike normal activation in iTunes, this activation will be permanent - you won't need to activate again when changing SIM-cards.

Wouldn't any of those solve my problem? Or I am reading them wrong?
Sure you can buy a T-Mobile sim card, but to activate it with your number or a new number, they will require you to sign up for at least a one year commitment or maybe even two years. You don't sign the commitment for the phone anymore; the commitment is for the number.

As far as the unlocking stuff, I can't help you. Maybe you could ask on the iPhone software forum.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

mlabate

Feb 28, 2008
Sure you can buy a T-Mobile sim card, but to activate it with your number or a new number, they will require you to sign up for at least a one year commitment or maybe even two years. You don't sign the commitment for the phone anymore; the commitment is for the number.

As far as the unlocking stuff, I can't help you. Maybe you could ask on the iPhone software forum.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
I figured it out, I found a few people that are doing the same thing with me. All I have to do is jailbreak it and its done. It works with MediaNet no problems and its fine.

So if anyone else is like me and finds this thread. Its possible and easy.

Im going to an Apple store later on tonight to buy one