Can i put a nextel SIM card in an unlocked iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bluedrib

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
The Boot "Louisiana"
I was just wondering if i could possible put my nextel sim card into an unlocked iPhone? See the thing is that i have such a good plan with sprint/nextel, i don't want to give it up. so with all the unlocks going on i was wondering if anyone has tried the nextel sim card into an unlocked iPhone?!?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
I was just wondering if i could possible put my nextel sim card into an unlocked iPhone? See the thing is that i have such a good plan with sprint/nextel, i don't want to give it up. so with all the unlocks going on i was wondering if anyone has tried the nextel sim card into an unlocked iPhone?!?
Ofcourse! :D If it uses a SIM Card and it's unlocked, i don't see why not ;)

domi

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
just an FYI Nextel is iDEN which is not CDMA. CDMA is different from iDEN and are defenitly different. Sprint uses CDMA. they are both different. and of course iPhone is GSM.

Ninzono

Nov 30, 2007
just an FYI Nextel is iDEN which is not CDMA. CDMA is different from iDEN and are defenitly different. Sprint uses CDMA. they are both different. and of course iPhone is GSM.
Why can't the US operators just be normal like European operators and use a set standard like GSM :D

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
Why can't the US operators just be normal like European operators and use a set standard like GSM :D
I suspect that someday (like 25 years from now) they will. In the meantime between T-Mobile, AT&T, and the smaller carriers using GSM (like in Alaska) the coverage is pretty good even if the choice of carriers is not.

Jan 21, 2009
Wien, Oesterreich
GSM in the US?

The reason why the US/Canada have not completely adopted the GSM sim card is one of two reasons.
1) if it was just pop out your sim card and replace your phone without committing to a contract, the phone companies would lose some long term investors. They can receive future capital from banks if they know that their subscriber will pay them for 1yr-2yrs. The other side is (most phone companies don't want you to know) that if you have your own equipment, they can't force you to sign a contract. I have been on month to month on my nextel phone because I had a phone that my brother gave me. The phone companies would much rather take the chance on you just paying them month to month than not getting you on at all. They look at it as net proffit.
2)we just don't have the means to support a GSM eccentric country.

:laugh2:

Jan 21, 2009
Wien, Oesterreich
lol, yeah I got off track a little bit. it'll fit but not sure if the service will work well. Nextel says that the sim card is phone specific (all nextel phones) but that might just be a scare tactic.