can i send my jailbroke iPhone 4 back to Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by richard98, Dec 30, 2011.

1. richard98

richard98 New Member

Hi, i accedently updated my phone when it was jailbroken, stupid move i know, but now it is basically bricked it wont restore via iTunes, just comes up with errors, and is just stuck on the Apple logo. My iPhone 4 is still under warranty will i be able to send it back to Apple and get a replacement or get it repared?

2. ~DS~

~DS~ Member
    Bronze

Ummm.... There's no way it can brick...ever unless it's hardware related issue. Restore it via iTunes in DFU mode will do the trick.

[Post Edited]

3. richard98

richard98 New Member

i have alraedy tried restoring it in dfu mode via iTunes and pwned dfu mode it still comes up with errors?

4. ~DS~

~DS~ Member
    Bronze

What kind of errors? Did you update iTunes to the lasest version? What firmware were you on when you jailbreak it?

5. richard98

richard98 New Member

i have had 1604 and 1602 and 3694 when trying to restore using the latest version of iTunes. I was on 5.0 and atempted to update to 5.01. Thanks, rich

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

No insults please.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

With those erros it sounds like a host file issue. Make sure iTunes is fully up to date and if you have Tiny Umbrella installed make sure you deselect Set Hosts to Cydia in the advanced tab.

8. richard98

richard98 New Member

Thanks, i try unistalling iTunes and reinstalling it, could this help?

9. ~DS~

~DS~ Member
    Bronze

Doesn't make a difference to be honest.

Just try the method iPhonewarrior mentioned.

10. ~DS~

~DS~ Member
    Bronze

Not merely insulting no-one here, just saying it's a stupid move per se since anyone knows doing that would void the warranty once Apple finds out.

11. richard98

richard98 New Member

I don't have tiny umbrella, is there a way to reset the host file as i may of tamperd with it a while back. Thanks

12. ~DS~

~DS~ Member
    Bronze

Make sure 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com isn't there.

http://www.saurik.com/id/12

13. richard98

richard98 New Member

ok, Thanks il try this now.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you don't have Tiny Umbrella installed simply updating iTunes will correct your hosts file.

15. richard98

richard98 New Member

ok, Thanks.

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You're welcome :)

17. richard98

richard98 New Member

Thanks thats worked my i phone is fixed, cheers.

18. ~DS~

~DS~ Member
    Bronze

Great, what did you do exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

19. vice86

vice86 Member
    Bronze

I "bricked" my phone about a month after buying it back in Nov '09. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked. The biggest problem with mine was that I must have hit custom boot logo when JB'ing because the pineApple would show during boot instead of Apple...and then it would change to that cartoon of Steve Jobs with the russian text or something.

Anywho, I took a chance calling Apple. They said go to an Apple Store...told them its inconvienient for me (because they'd march my ass right out of there once they saw the pineApple) so they said I can just mail it in. Mailed it in and checked the status everyday to see where it was at. I was on pins and needles waiting to see "returned to sender" or something but I actually got a NEW phone! Only thing it was the new bootrom 3GS but I wasn't complaining.

I wonder what their screening process is with phone returns. Either they never even looked at it or the tech saw the pineApple but cut me a break.

EDIT: Of course after typing all that I just saw your post about fixing your phone...D'OH! Well good to hear!

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's cool. It's not untypical, though. I've never heard of Apple refusing to replace a phone that couldn't be restored, even if it was jailbroken. The endless restore errors are almost always related to the jailbreak itself, but they still replace/fix them if they are still under warranty. With perseverance and research, they can usually be fixed. I've spent 6+ hours fixing two different jailbroken/unlocked 3GS'. I nearly gave up on both of them.