Can I update software of iPhone 4 Jailbroken with SAM?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I use an iPhone 4 which has been Jailbroken using SAM. I am now contemplating upgrading the software from 5.0.1 to iOS 6. Will the phone be locked again?
It depends on how it was unlocked. Did you use ultrasn0w or an eBay unlock?

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
I use an iPhone 4 which has been Jailbroken using SAM. I am now contemplating upgrading the software from 5.0.1 to iOS 6. Will the phone be locked again?

Sent using iCafe app
You have to have previously saved and backed up your SAM pref ticket to guarantee an unlock when you upgrade....the backup window has closed....

Ayamgah

Dec 30, 2012
Ghana, West Africa
On SAM there is this window:
Backup Activation
Deactivate iPhone
Restore Activation

I have just backed up activation on SAM. I have also backed up to iCloud. Can I now upgrade the iOS from 5 to 6 without getting the phone locked again?

Sent using iCafe app

Sent using iCafe app

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
No... you have missed the backup window...you will lose your unlock.... Apple have patched and closed this loophole....

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
The unlock is not dictated by Apple... your Network provider forces the lock on end users to ensure loyalty...

There other methods to unlock..some free(depending on your baseband) some you will need to pay...depends where in the world you live really.... in the UK Networks providers will grant a full factory unlock for a fee...lol

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
You may still be able to qualify for an IMEI unlock(a factory unlock) via eBay...use only reputable Unlocking sites...