Can I upgrade iOS 3.1.3 without disturbing baseband 05.12.01?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by Little-Acorn, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

My wife's iPhone 3GS 32GB, which I've mentioned on other threads here, has iOS 3.1.3 and baseband 05.12.01. That's very valuable to me - I can jailbreak it and unlock it WITHOUT installing the iPod baseband 06.15.00 which disables the GPS. In fact, I already have. It still has the 05.12.01 baseband, and the GPS works beautifully.

But now I want to install Navigon... and the Navigon website says I need at least iOS 4.something.

I know that if I do any upgrading of the iOS, I risk losing the jailbreak. Well, if I have to, I'll even do that... I can always jailbreak it again later.

But my question is, can I upgrade this iOS without disturbing the baseband it presently has (05.12.01)... and without winding up with iOS 5.1 which is un-jailbreakable? Is there a way I can wind up with iOS 4.2.1 or some similar thing? And the same baseband I have now?

2. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

There is a jailbreak available for 5.1 but it's tethered...if you are lucky enough to own an "Old BootRom" 3GS iPhone you can jailbreak on 5.1 firmware Untethered...:)

You can update your iPhones firmware while preserving your baseband...either with a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w.....or using tools like TinyUmbrella;) Good Luck