Can I upgrade to iOS 7 and run Pangu jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by ring0_event, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hello. I have an iPhone5 still on 6.1.2. I missed the previous opportunity to jailbreak iOS7, and now my life is complicated by the fact that my suspend (aka lock) button does not work. So I make my phone suspend by using activator to allow double tap on status bar to lock my device. SO- this means that at the moment I CANNOT enter DFU mode! When I have time I will have to have my iPhone repaired, but I would like to jailbreak right away if possible.
    My question is- keeping in mind that I cannot go to DFU mode at the moment, is it possible for me to upgrade to iOS7 and apply the Pangu jailbreak? Thanks for any help!

2. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

It seems the answer is yes, according to these videos:

I also REALLY need Activator to work well in order to lock my phone. It seems that Activator works for 7.1.1, but could anyone please confirm that Activator works for 7.1.2?
    Thanks for any help!

3. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

So...can no one confirm that Activator works fine on 7.1.2? I REALLY need this to lock my device, as my lock button is FUBARed!

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

There's a beta out. Why not just install it and test it for yourself?

5. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

I didn't JB yet, I'm still on 6.1.2. My lock button is BROKEN, so I can't suspend my device without Activator, hence I could not JB till someone confirmed that Activator works on 7.1.2- that, and I didn't get pkgbackup to work until this morning. Thanks for your answer!

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Activator works just as well on 7.1.2 as is does on 7.1.1. It is not fully functional on either of them, but most things work.

7. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hmm...sorry if I ask so many questions, but since my iPhone5's lock button is damaged, I can't upgrade to 7.1.2 and JB unless I'm reasonably sure I could lock my device (and thus suspend it and save battery). I'm using Activator to map double tap on status (anywhere) to lock device. I'm *really sorry* to ask this, but If you (or anyone) could check if that option is available, I would be extremely grateful. I'm know I'm asking a lot...sorry!

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm on 7.1.1. I can lock the device by double-tapping the status bar on the home screen, but not from the lock screen. I haven't been able to get any gestures to work on the lock screen since 6.x. I have it set to "anywhere."

9. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa! I really appreciate the effort you've taken to help me, now I can JB to 7.1.2 tonight! Many thanks! :)

PS: It doesn't matter that gestures are not interpreted from the lock screen for my case, because there is a short timeout to sleep. I REALLY should fix that lock button, but meanwhile I'm free from the shackles of 6.1.2!

10. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

OK, I tried to upgrade from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 in the latest iTunes, and I got the dreaded 3014 error. I think that I can reach gs.apple.com (17.151.36.39). Does this mean that I have to force my phone in DFU mode? If so, I'll have to repair my lock button before 7.1.3 is online. Or could there be another problem?

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Do you have an altered hosts file? Are you using Tiny Umbrella? That will alter your hosts file and may not let iTunes verify the new firmware.

12. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

My hosts file is altered, just not for gs.apple.com. The IP address 17.151.36.39 is correct, no? I typed "ping gs.apple.com" at a command prompt, and that IP was queried though there was no response (not surprising, ping is probably not enabled). That IP is correct no?

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Try commenting out that IP and try it again.

14. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Yes, it's commented out, but no go. Any ideas? I can't put my phone into DFU mode atm, and I'll try to have the lock button repaired this weekend. But till then, any other ideas?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Install TinyUmbrella and uncheck the box that says "set hosts to Cydia on exit." That will fix and problems with your host file.

16. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hi Europa, thanks for your reply. I don't *think* that there is an issue with my hosts file, because when I ping gs.apple.com from a command prompt, the IP address displayed on the screen is 17.151.36.39, which is not Saurik's server. In any case, I have commented out all the relevant parts of my hosts file by placing a "#" before it. I've even tried deleting (well, renaming) the hosts file, so I truly doubt that this is a hosts file issue...

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The troubleshooting for that error is to fix the hosts file, update iTunes and temporarily disable antivirus software and firewalls. If all of that fails, try another computer.

18. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Thanks for your reply, Europa, I'll see what I can do.

19. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

One question, Europa: say I manage to update to 7.1.2 on another computer. Do you think it likely that I'll be able to restore my backup at home? In other words, can my spurious 4014 error be triggered by this process, or does it only happen for the application of a new firmware?

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can apply your backup at home as long as it's an iTunes backup and not an iCloud backup. Instead of selecting the restore option, you will right click on the device on the left panel and select Restore from Backup.

Untitled-2-1.png