Can I use a 3G iPhone activated by someone else on my FamilyPlan?

Jun 25, 2007
Hi,

AT&T is telling me I'm ineligible for an upgrade on my FamilyPlan line because I got a discounted Tilt 3 months ago. (I got the Tilt when I broke my iPhone).

HOWEVER, other folks on my FamilyPlan ARE eligible for $199 3g iPhone pricing.

If one of the other folks on my FamilyPlan upgrade to the iPhone 3G, is the following allowed:

1. They remove the SIM card from their 3G iPhone and put it inside their original phone (they don't want an iPhone)?
2. I remove the SIM card from my Tilt and put it inside the 3G iPhone?

What I'm trying to do is have them buy the 3G iPhone for $199, but then let me use it with my phone number.

Thanks!

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
You can, just make sure you switch data plan

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
yup this is possible, you wont get the iPhone data plans but im sure you can find a plan you like

Jun 25, 2007
Thanks for the information all!

Has anyone tried this yet?

Here's what I think will happen:
The line that gets the 3g iPhone, then puts the sim back in their old phone will have to call AT&T and get the $30 iPhone data plan removed.
My line (on the same FamilyTalk plan), after I put my SIM card in the 3g iPhone, will add the $30 iPhone data plan when i activate the phone.

would really love to hear from someone who has done this before attempting. my brother who would help me out has no desire to switch phones from his BlackJack II and wouldn't be happy with an iPhone (crazy as that sounds to most of us, including me!)

Thanks.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Thanks for the information all!

Has anyone tried this yet?

Here's what I think will happen:
The line that gets the 3g iPhone, then puts the sim back in their old phone will have to call AT&T and get the $30 iPhone data plan removed.
My line (on the same FamilyTalk plan), after I put my SIM card in the 3g iPhone, will add the $30 iPhone data plan when i activate the phone.

would really love to hear from someone who has done this before attempting. my brother who would help me out has no desire to switch phones from his BlackJack II and wouldn't be happy with an iPhone (crazy as that sounds to most of us, including me!)

Thanks.
it's not only completely possible, you should be able to tell an AT&T rep exactly what you want to do (get a subsidized iPhone on your bro's line and then switch it to your line) and they should be able to do it all for you.

it isn't breaking any rules or anything

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm on a FamilyTalk plan and my number was eligible but my Dad's number wasn't. Just as long as the number you want to upgrade is eligible you'll be fine. And like the above poster said you could probably switch the number to your number and it should be fine.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I have switch several phones in the past (not the iPhone, wasn't needed).

I have the rep do it. What they do is sell you the phone and activate it. The you have them switch the service.

This last one I did that on was the Black Jack with no problem and then bought the iPhone which made my line eligible for an upgrade to V2

tgwinn

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I did this exact thing... I was not eligible, so i added a line for my daughter and then told them that I wanted the iPhone with my phone number on it and my daugthers new number on my old phone. They said that it was no problem at all and set everything up..including adding the iPhone plan to my number. :)

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I did this and called AT&T today to make sure my plan was accurate. The young man I called said "with the new iPhone if you aren't eligible to upgrade then the system will not allow them to add an iPhone imei number to your account or put you on an iPhone plan. He told me since I wasn't having any problems yet and I was on a blackberry curve unlimited plan I should just leave it alone, but pay close attention to my bill for anything that doesn't look right.
He said I may experience some difficulty accessing certain things (I am having a problem with my wifi not sure if it has to do with this) but long story short, until 11/09 as far as AT&T is concerned, I have a Blackberry Curve.

Jun 25, 2007
On my end, when I went to the AT&T store on Friday, the CSR told me I could NOT simply upgrade another line on our FamilyPlan to an iPhone and swap sim cards. He said the SIM card in the iPhone is specific to it.

I've never had this experience before with any GSM phone (as long as the phone was unlocked or locked to the carrier i was using)...I've had it where certain phone features didn't work until I called to update the plan, but the phone itself always worked.

anyway, that's conversation on July 11th at the AT&T store is what led me to start this thread in the forum...

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
well I didn't tell them what I planned to do. I gave them my brothers number when i went to buy the phone. When I got home I added my sim card and registered my number on iTunes. I figures with all the hype around the phone, even if it could be done they wouldn't allow it.

Jun 25, 2007
well I didn't tell them what I planned to do. I gave them my brothers number when i went to buy the phone. When I got home I added my sim card and registered my number on iTunes. I figures with all the hype around the phone, even if it could be done they wouldn't allow it.
Thanks iprncess. What did you do to get your brothers original phone working again? Just take the original SIM out of the 3G iPhone and put it in your brothers original phone?

guess I should just do what i intend to do instead of trying to make sure AT&T is fully onboard.

May 14, 2008
This is exactly what im planingon doing this week when I get mine. I have 2 lines and only one is up for an upgrade. So what Im planing on doing is doing the upgrade and then when I get home I will switch sim cards and see what happeneds. I don't think that I will have any problems, the sim card that im putting in the iPhone is a newer 3G sim card. My question is, is asking AT&T to switch the $30 data plan to the other line (number) that is not due for the upgrade after i switch sim cards going to be kosher with them....hmm I hope.

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah that was the kicker. When they activated mine it killed his. He had to call Apple and have a new sim sent out!he has the first iPhone

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
just noticed that my virtual voicemail isn't working. Wonder if that is due to me not having an iPhone "branded" data plan?

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Update:
Went to ATT Store today instead of calling. Told the guy that my brother used his upgrade to get me the iPhone. I already had a unlimited data plan on the account so I wasn't concerned about usage. I realized that my virtual voicemail wasn't working so I called in and was informed that just putting my sim card in wouldn't work and I had to go into a store and have a iPhone plan added to the account along with the IMEI number from my phone. The guy in the store didn't as ONE question about my eligibility. He added the iPhone plan/IMEI number and my phone is perfect!

jmazsa

Mar 2, 2010
interesting...

did you buy the phone from the AT&T online store? Because my sister's line is up for upgrade and I want a iPhone and she does not - she wants my Xenon. My Xenon has the 3G sim card and also has unlimited data plan.