Can I use a 4G SIM in 3G iPhone?

1. ThisHatTwasMyCat

ThisHatTwasMyCat New Member

I know that the sim cards are different sizes and I've seen how people make an adapter to fit the smaller 4g sim into the 3g but I'm just wondering about settings or software compatibility.

I broke my iPhone 3Gs while riding my ATV. It was just the glass and LCD but I wanted to get a new phone anyways and got the 4GS. If it's possible to simply transfer the sim card from one phone to the other with an adapter I will fix the screen so that I can bring my old phone with me when I do activity's which place my phone at higher risk of damage.

Alternatively, is anyone aware of any other "cheaper" phones which will accept the 4g sim card?

If it matters I'm in Canada on BELL.

Thanks!

2. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Bronze

It's not a 4GS, it's just the 4S, there is no 4G iPhone. And yes, I think it should work in either or.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. ThisHatTwasMyCat

Okay, my mistake it's 4s not 4gs. Anyway, has anyone tried the sim card swap?

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

There is no other phone, cheap or otherwise that will take a uSIM without an adapter. Only the iPhone 4 or 4S.

That said, yes the bell uSIM is a standard HSPA+ SIM that with an adapter can work in such a phone, such as your 3GS. Fix it if it's cheaper than an unbroken one after market.

Aside: Bell Canada also has true 4G/LTE SIMs that look to have an altered pin out, measures same as a standard SIM and will likely not with on any non LTE phone, any iPhone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it will work just fine. You just need to cut your SIM down to size. There are YouTube tutorials that show how to do this. Then you can make or buy a SIM adapter so you can use your micro SIM in your 3GS. The other option is to buy a micro SIM from your carrier. AT&T sells them for $10. They are free with the new phone, so I'm guessing you bought a used or unlocked iPhone 4S.

7. ThisHatTwasMyCat

No my iPhone 4 is brand new from bell and has a micro sim already. All I want to know is if I can just take the micro sim from my iPhone 4 and put it into my iPhone 3 and make calls and use it as I previously did without having to jail break it or what have you. Knowing I need to cut out a little adapter to place the smaller micro-sim into.

I would just try it but as I said the phones screen is broken.

It's sounding like it will work. I'm going to order the repair parts.

8. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

He has a 4S and a microSIM. He's looking at either fixing the 3GS or getting a second cheap phone and is trying to confirm that his microSIM will still work with an adapter. Also asked if there's a cheap phone that uses the microSIM natively.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

9. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

No other phone uses the microsim natively, but with an adapter the microsim will work with any other phone.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, that will work. No jailbreak is required. You just need an adapter for the 3GS. You can make or buy one.

11. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

The AT&T corporate stores will usually give you a new sim for free.