Can I use a Pre-paid SIM with an iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MJFinelli

Sep 22, 2007
Hi, I want the iPhone but not the big AT&T bill. So I want to buy an iPhone and use it like an ipod and maybe goto walmart buy one of those AT&T sims and will i be able to put it in the phone and call people ? I know the internet wont work, but I think it should work in wifi zones. I know the touch is coming out, but i want the camera and he speaker that comes on the iPhone. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Oh we're using big fonts now. OK...

You can activate the phone to use the iPhone as a glorified Touch, but to use a prepaid SIM you would need to unlock it. Search the forums for info about that...

MJFinelli

Sep 22, 2007
Oh we're using big fonts now. OK...

You can activate the phone to use the iPhone as a glorified Touch, but to use a prepaid SIM you would need to unlock it. Search the forums for info about that...
What do you mean sctivate the phone? If I go and buy one I cant just take it out of the box and use it like the touch? Also if I buy an unlocked iPhone on ebay, if i take the sim out and out a pre paid one in, that will work ?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
What do you mean sctivate the phone? If I go and buy one I cant just take it out of the box and use it like the touch? Also if I buy an unlocked iPhone on ebay, if i take the sim out and out a pre paid one in, that will work ?
Directly out of the box it will do nothing (except call 911) until it's activated. You can do that "legally" with AT&T or through the various hacks/unlocks available. I would recommend you stick with AT&T.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Unlocks are easy to do, and yes once unlocked you can use a pre-paid sim.

I have an unlocked 8gb with a pre-paid T-Mobile sim and all is well

MJFinelli

Sep 22, 2007
Unlocks are easy to do, and yes once unlocked you can use a pre-paid sim.

I have an unlocked 8gb with a pre-paid T-Mobile sim and all is well

So yours is unlocked and your using an unlocked sim. So your able to go on the internet only with wifi? And does your youtube work and everything? Also how does the email work?

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
So yours is unlocked and your using an unlocked sim. So your able to go on the internet only with wifi? And does your youtube work and everything? Also how does the email work?
Email works fine, youtube works fine. I know for a fact that the edge network works, but i don't have a data plan so I cant use it. They even have a hack to get your voicemail synced with tmobile (not visual voicemail)

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
why are some people anti unlocking on this forum if you don't mind me askin? maybe im getting confused but it sounds anti unlocking lol i love my phone..its unlocked...in the uk...pre paid sim and gettin cheaper data usage then what o2 will offer their customers...:-D il only update when its been resolved...if i do...

Sep 21, 2007
why are some people anti unlocking on this forum if you don't mind me askin? maybe im getting confused but it sounds anti unlocking lol i love my phone..its unlocked...in the uk...pre paid sim and gettin cheaper data usage then what o2 will offer their customers...:-D il only update when its been resolved...if i do...
You do NOT need to unlock the phone in order to go prepaid. You can go to an ATT store. Sign up for prepaid and they will give you a code to skip the credit check during the activation process in iTunes.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
You do NOT need to unlock the phone in order to go prepaid. You can go to an ATT store. Sign up for prepaid and they will give you a code to skip the credit check during the activation process in iTunes.
You should actually read his post next time if you want to respond to it. That being said, ATT's pre-paid plan is absolute junk. They required me to make an automatic minimum monthly deposit. That is crap and destroys the point of pre-paid. Now I'm on their post paid, but I have 30 days to decide if I want to switch to T-Mobile

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
You should actually read his post next time if you want to respond to it. That being said, ATT's pre-paid plan is absolute junk. They required me to make an automatic minimum monthly deposit. That is crap and destroys the point of pre-paid. Now I'm on their post paid, but I have 30 days to decide if I want to switch to T-Mobile
If you don't mind losing visual voicemail, switch to T-Mobile. I pay $61 a month now for what I used to pay AT&T $100. T-Mobile's unlimited data plan is only $5.99!

Sep 28, 2007

SO I USED JAILBREAK AND FREED MY iPhone OR SO I THOUGHT...

After going to the AT&t store and buying a replacement sim card for a dispossible phone i told them i Had they then set me up with a new number for pay as u go. After an hour my sim card was active and I was able to make my first call for 10 cents. Yet an hour later I try again and find out that all my minutes are gone...how? I was using wifi never edge..... where did 45 bucks worth of mins go? :mad:

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIG THIS OUT!

Thanks