Can I use iPhone purchased in Asia on pay as you go plan?

Taz1990

Oct 18, 2008
Newcastle UK
I have a friend who is visiting the Fareast shortly. She has said she could bring me a iPhone back. I was wondering could I free this to work on any Pay as you go network and if I could would I lose any features :oops:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well unless it's unlocked by the provider over there. In parts of Europe and Asia they sell the 3G factory unlocked. Expect to pay $1,000+.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
As of now there aren't any software unlocks but there are things like turbosim which uses modified SIM cards that basically trick the phone. How this works in other countries, I don't know.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Currently there is no easy, software unlock to the 3G iPhone. There are SIM cards that claim to unlock it but those work for only a month or so (from what I have heard) and then stop working. They do sell factory unlocked phones in some places but they are far more expensive than the $299 iPhone you can get with AT&T in the U.S. They are likely to be $1,000 or more depending on where you buy them. However, if you get it unlocked from the factory then it should remain unlocked throughout all firmware upgrades.

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
Is there no way of unlocking a 3G iPhone in the UK ?
What is Jailboken
jailbreaking just allows you to install homebrewed apps outside of the app store.

as for unlocking, there is to way except for a sim adapter. hong kong is selling truly unlocked iPhones through hutchinson, and they're ~$680USD retail.

now if someone were to extract the baseband from one and post it up...

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
doesn't france require all phones sold within the country to be subsidy unlocked or be able to be subsidy unlocked? isn't there a way to get an iPhone unlocked in france?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
My 3G is unlocked. I bought it in Singapore.

Check this for the part numbers of iPhones that are unlocked.

I use it on T-Mobile in the UK. All features work just as they should and it upgrades through iTunes.

Hong Kong, Italy and Belgium also do them though you may need to request the unlock from the service provider.