Can I use iPhone purchased in US in South Africa?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 24, 2007
Hello people of everythingiPhone!
I live in South Africa (where the iPhone isn't available yet) and I am thinking about ordering an iPhone from the U.S. However, before I run over to Apple's website to order one, I would like to ask some questions. I hope you don't mind answering them. (I also hope I posted this in the correct forum. If not, will a moderator please move it to the correct place? Thanks!)
  1. I have heard that the iPhone doesn't have a slot for a regular SIM card and that the SIM card is built into it. Is this true? If it is then I won't be able to use an iPhone in SA.
  2. Can I order an iPhone from Apple without signing up for a AT&T phone plan? Will Apple ship an iPhone to a country where the iPhone is not available yet? If not, where will I be able to order one and get it shipped to South Africa?
  3. I am using Microsoft Windows. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to unlock, jailbreak, and install the installer.app on my iPhone?
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I am looking forward to reading your replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
the iPhone does have a regular sim card slot - the sim card is not built in.

unless Apple has an online store specifically for south africa, you cannot order an iPhone online. if you try to order for the u.s. Apple online store, they will not ship it to an address outside of the u.s. short of coming to the u.s. (or another country where the iPhone will be soon be available), you're out of luck getting one through official channels. ebay would be your next best bet...

i haven't unlocked or hacked my iPhone, so i can't provide any information on how to do this. i do know that there is a great deal of information already here on hacking and unlocking - you should search in the iPhone modifications forum since everything you need is probably already there (and i'm guessing no one will want to re-type everything for you in response to your post if it's already available somewhere here)...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I would seriously wait until the EU phones come out and get one of those. Aren't they due in just a couple of weeks? Then, you might even get lucky enough to match the iPhone to whatever service you already have (T-Mobile, etc). Be a little more patient - it will probably pay off...

spy008

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
South Africa isn't an EU country so what difference would it make?

I would seriously wait until the EU phones come out and get one of those. Aren't they due in just a couple of weeks? Then, you might even get lucky enough to match the iPhone to whatever service you already have (T-Mobile, etc). Be a little more patient - it will probably pay off...

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Hello people of everythingiPhone!
I live in South Africa (where the iPhone isn't available yet) and I am thinking about ordering an iPhone from the U.S. However, before I run over to Apple's website to order one, I would like to ask some questions. I hope you don't mind answering them. (I also hope I posted this in the correct forum. If not, will a moderator please move it to the correct place? Thanks!)

1. I have heard that the iPhone doesn't have a slot for a regular SIM card and that the SIM card is built into it. Is this true? If it is then I won't be able to use an iPhone in SA.
  2. Can I order an iPhone from Apple without signing up for a AT&T phone plan? Will Apple ship an iPhone to a country where the iPhone is not available yet? If not, where will I be able to order one and get it shipped to South Africa?
  3. I am using Microsoft Windows. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to unlock, jailbreak, and install the installer.app on my iPhone?
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I am looking forward to reading your replies.

:laugh2: - meow66meow

Welcome to EIP!

Always dreamed of going to africa some day! JUMBO or JAMBO or something, whatever the hell it is you say for hello!:p

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
South Africa isn't an EU country so what difference would it make?
Yes, I'm aware of that.

Probably won't make any difference. Just thinking if the OP has existing service with one of the EU providers, there may be a better chance of ending up with a fully (or nearly fully) functional iPhone.

Again, probably no difference. Then again, if I lived in Australia or New Zealand, I'd probably feel better about buying an iPhone from the UK than the US...

Oct 24, 2007
Thank You!

Thank you very much everyone for helping to answer my questions. I really didn't expect so many replies!

macgirl said:
the iPhone does have a regular sim card slot - the sim card is not built in.

unless Apple has an online store specifically for south africa, you cannot order an iPhone online. if you try to order for the u.s. Apple online store, they will not ship it to an address outside of the u.s. short of coming to the u.s. (or another country where the iPhone will be soon be available), you're out of luck getting one through official channels. ebay would be your next best bet...
I am glad that the iPhone has a regular SIM card slot! That is a huge relief. I have a friend or two in the USA. Will I be able to ship the iPhone to one of my friends over there and then just have my friend send it to me?

macgirl said:
i haven't unlocked or hacked my iPhone, so i can't provide any information on how to do this. i do know that there is a great deal of information already here on hacking and unlocking - you should search in the iPhone modifications forum since everything you need is probably already there (and i'm guessing no one will want to re-type everything for you in response to your post if it's already available somewhere here)...
Thanks! I will do that!

minivini said:
Alrighty, maybe I'll do that. Where will I be able to get a EU phone?

IndyJonez said:
Welcome to EIP!

Always dreamed of going to africa some day! JUMBO or JAMBO or something, whatever the hell it is you say for hello!
Thanks! In Afrikaans (the langauge that I speak), "hello" is the same as in English. JUMBO or JAMBO or whatever is how you say "hello" in some other South African langauge... not sure which one though... =P

Thanks again everybody for all you help! I really appreciate it! :laugh2: