Can I use iPhone SIM card in another AT&T phone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 21, 2007
Since the iPhone comes preloaded wtih a sim card to be activated through iTunes i was wondering if i could remove that sim card and use it with any other att phone whenever i don't want to use the iPhone.....for example i bought a jet ski and when im out on it i want to have a phone on me but obviously not the iPhone.....so what i would do is remove the sim card from the iPhone and use it on my other regular phone so that i can have my same number and such....it should work right i mean thats how it works with other phones so i don't think the iPhone is different right?

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Since the iPhone comes preloaded wtih a sim card to be activated through iTunes i was wondering if i could remove that sim card and use it with any other att phone whenever i don't want to use the iPhone.....for example i bought a jet ski and when im out on it i want to have a phone on me but obviously not the iPhone.....so what i would do is remove the sim card from the iPhone and use it on my other regular phone so that i can have my same number and such....it should work right i mean thats how it works with other phones so i don't think the iPhone is different right?
This should work. No confirmation yet, but it should.

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
it's just a regular AT&T sim card. It can be used in other phones. However, if you place another sim in the iPhone that doesn't have an iPhone plan on it, it'll not operate except for emergency calls

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Definitely a subject of hot debate and no real answer. If I had to put money down on one side or the other, I'd have to say the chip will be a standard SIM chip usable with other phones.

That's also what I happen to hoping for personally.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
it's just a regular AT&T sim card. It can be used in other phones. However, if you place another sim in the iPhone that doesn't have an iPhone plan on it, it'll not operate except for emergency calls
So, you're saying, if I take my iPhone to China and pop in a China Mobile chip it's not going to work? How sure of you of this information?

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
So, you're saying, if I take my iPhone to China and pop in a China Mobile chip it's not going to work? How sure of you of this information?
Positive. It's an AT&T exclusive device, locked to AT&T. The phone will not work without the iPhone data plan. The device needs a data connection to operate

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
Is the sim card on the iPhone user accessible? I realise there is a card slot but i was under the impression that Apple would have to replace any faulty simcards or batteries etc...

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Is the sim card on the iPhone user accessible? I realise there is a card slot but i was under the impression that Apple would have to replace any faulty simcards or batteries etc...
Simcards - AT&T will replace.
All other hardware/software issues - Apple's responsibility

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Definitely a subject of hot debate and no real answer. If I had to put money down on one side or the other, I'd have to say the chip will be a standard SIM chip usable with other phones.
And my money willl be on the other side. I suspect that the AT&T SIM Card is integrated into the device. Much in the same way a Sprint phone SIM card is integrated into the device. It will not be user accesable in any way. The SIM card tray is there for future expansion.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but if I was a betting man thats where my money goes.

- SR

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
And my money willl be on the other side. I suspect that the AT&T SIM Card is integrated into the device. Much in the same way a Sprint phone SIM card is integrated into the device. It will not be user accesable in any way. The SIM card tray is there for future expansion.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but if I was a betting man thats where my money goes.

- SR
I would be with you there. I mean by having the sim locked/sealed into the phone it would make it a lot harder for hackers to unlock it tbh. Not that you would be able to use it on a diff network anyway due to the data plan.