Can I Use iTunes From Two Computers?

Jul 27, 2009
I just purchased an iPhone 3GS, and am waiting for it to arrive in a few days. In the meantime, I purchased and downloaded some apps from iTunes. However, I have a netbook that I ordered some apps on iTunes and from my other laptop iTunes I ordered another app for the iPhone. I didn't think there would be a problem connecting my iPhone to iTunes on each computer and downloading the apps to my iPhone. Will this be a problem? How should I do this? I hope I don't have to re-purchase the apps again and just use one iTune to keep my phone sync'd. Please help me ... I am a real NOOOBIE! :dft008:surprised

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
just pick one computer and re-download your other apps. iTunes will let you do it for free.

Jul 27, 2009
just pick one computer and re-download your other apps. iTunes will let you do it for free.
From my laptop I using iTunes, I tried to get one of the apps that I had purchased from my netbook, and when I clicked to get it, it asked if I was sure I wanted to purchase it!? So that means it would charge me again for it?

Do I have to pick one computer only to use iTunes to with my iPhone then?

Thanks for your help :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No, it won't charge you again. Click that button, and then a pop up will say that you already purchased it and won't be charged again.

You can sync your phone with 2 computers if you want, but you certainly don't need to. There are multiple steps involved in setting it up. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2137

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think you can only sync applications from one computer.

At first iTunes makes it sound like it will charger you again, but after you click the purchase button, it will tell you you've already purchased that app, and ask if you want to download it again for free. You just have o make sure you're signed into the same iTunes account on both computers.

Jul 4, 2009
You can sync an iPhone to two computers. All your apps have to be from one, then all your music from any one, basically each category can be synced to a different computer.
It's nice that they let you download the apps again on the computer for free that you have purchased. But they will charge again if it's from the iPhone. (They want you to sync it instead.) This changed from 2.2.1 to 3.0. I learned this the hard way, when an app was giving me trouble, I deleted it then re-downloaded it, thinking it was free, but they had changed their policy.:dft004:tears

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
They have fixed that recently. You definitely can redownload apps on the iPhone/iPod fo free on 3.0.

And you can sync music and videos from multiple computers if you choose to "manually manage" your music and videos. But I don't think applications are included in that.

Jul 27, 2009
Yes, it worked. I got all my apps on my second computer. I tried sharing my iTunes music folder and dragging the apps from one computer to the other, but it wouldn't show in the Library. So I just redownloaded them from iTunes store. That's good news! :)

You guys are wonderful! Thank you so much!

I do have one other question: I made a Ringtones folder on my computer, but not inside iTunes, and they are showing up in the iTunes library. But do I have to move that folder to the iTunes music folder to sync properly with my iPhone, or will it work where the folder is right now?

What a blessing you people are here! ;)

Jul 4, 2009
They have fixed that recently. You definitely can redownload apps on the iPhone/iPod fo free on 3.0.

And you can sync music and videos from multiple computers if you choose to "manually manage" your music and videos. But I don't think applications are included in that.
Are you sure it's fixed? :eek:k:eek:k That's great! You've tried it right?O_o

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yep. i redownloaded blackjack21 on my phone when i was out of town last week.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yes, it worked. I got all my apps on my second computer. I tried sharing my iTunes music folder and dragging the apps from one computer to the other, but it wouldn't show in the Library. So I just redownloaded them from iTunes store. That's good news! :)

You guys are wonderful! Thank you so much!

I do have one other question: I made a Ringtones folder on my computer, but not inside iTunes, and they are showing up in the iTunes library. But do I have to move that folder to the iTunes music folder to sync properly with my iPhone, or will it work where the folder is right now?

What a blessing you people are here! ;)
ringtones work differently than music, videos, or apps. The first thing i would try is dragging and dropping that folder into iTunes.

nepty

Jul 27, 2009
sometimes i feel noobie syncing to iTunes... tell me please how many computers can i use with my iPhone? when i need to authorize it and when i need't?

Dmikel

Jul 29, 2009
sometimes i feel noobie syncing to iTunes... tell me please how many computers can i use with my iPhone? when i need to authorize it and when i need't?
i can be wrong, its 5 computers.