Can I use my old v1 iPhone as a iPod touch? (buying 3G S)

ryanb

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I'm buying the 3G S now and so obviously my v1 iPhone is obsolete. My little sister would love to have it but my parents would definitely not want to pay the data plan. Is there a way I can unlock it without a carrier and let her use it just like an iPod touch?

How would I go about doing that... would I need to jailbreak it or something before I upgrade to the 3G S? I'm totally lost and any help is greatly appreciated :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You don't need to jailbreak it. Just pop the SIM card out (and put it in your new phone) and the V1 will basically become an iPod Touch. She'll be able to use it on WiFi, but without the SIM, she won't have the phone features. Go into settings and reset all settings so she can put in her own iTunes account info and email.

ryanb

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
You don't need to jailbreak it. Just pop the SIM card out (and put it in your new phone) and the V1 will basically become an iPod Touch. She'll be able to use it on WiFi, but without the SIM, she won't have the phone features. Go into settings and reset all settings so she can put in her own iTunes account info and email.
oh really? I was under the impression that without the sim card the phone would lock much like it was pre activation when I first received the phone. So wifi will work? Thanks for the info

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If it does become unactivated at some point, jailbreaking it with QuickPWN will activate it again.

Jun 11, 2009
if Just pop the SIM card out doesn't work you can try to find a sim card (without data or out service)put in your v1 iPhone, i believe it can work like ipod.